EQC 2012 in Tartu

This is a repository for ephemeral and/or superseded information posts and discussion topics which are nevertheless thought worthy of retention.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

EQC 2012 in Tartu

Postby Chris » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:08 pm

UPDATED.

Registration for this event has been open for some time and full details can be obtained from the dedicated event website HERE.

The "early bird" deadline for registration is October 15. After that all prices will be 20% higher.

I would also remind people that there is a FB group wherein you can seek information by asking questions pertaining to the EQC. If you've any particular concerns, or want to ask about some plan you have for getting to Tartu overland by bus from Smolensk, then that's the place to start :D

Facebook 'EQC 2012 Event' page
Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Payment for EQC 2012 in Tartu

Postby Chris » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:17 pm

We're grateful to Shelagh Gibson who let us know payments to Estonia are much, much cheaper if made through the Post Office rather than via a high street bank (PayPal, which is not quite universal, is not an option this time around). However, this applies ONLY to amounts of £250 or greater (you may need to club-together with someone else to save the pair of you some money)..

Go to this Post Office site and register for international payments (takes two minutes and is painless). Then send your money. It's FREE if you use your debit card and there's just a small charge (1.2%-ish) with a credit card. This latter mentioned fee is still a mere fraction of what it'll cost you using the services of a 'high street banker's pension fund'.

Thanks Shelagh!
Chris Jones

Bronson
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Re: EQC 2012 in Tartu

Postby Bronson » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Also posted in the Facebook page for the EQC 2012 event.

Important Announcement.

I had booked tickets with Estonian Air long ago to arrive in Tallinn on Friday afternoon, leaving back for London on Sunday afternoon. However, I have received an e-mail from the airline telling me that the flight has been cancelled, with no reason given!!

They have provided an alternative set of flights which now require a change (in Riga, I think) and which arrives in Tallinn extremely late on Friday, and leaves on Sunday for London from Tallinn far too early, making the quizzing experience an intolerable one. I shall write to the airline asking for other alternatives.

They have offered a full refund of the tickets, but what about the consequential losses, such as the hotel booked and the entrance fee for the event?

Is there anybody here from the Estonian organisers of the EQC 2012 event that can state whether I should be able to get a refund of hotel and entrance fees if I cannot make it due to the airline cancelling the flights?

In future, I shall not be attending the European Championships outside of the UK if the events are not EASILY reachable with public transport. I did question the sanity of setting it in Tartu, rather than the more easily reached Tallinn, but I thought that in a civilised world this would not matter; clearly I was wrong, alas.

Any others affected by the sudden cancellation of flights by the Estonian airline?

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:49 am

Hiya,

Jane, Iain Thoms and I are on just such a 'late' flight (leaving Thursday teatime from Gatwick) arriving in Tallinn circa 11pm after a stop in Riga. We travel back Monday lunchtime. I don't know if this itenary is one you can employ...

As for venue choice, as with past years there was a bid process and the bid template covers travel arrangements. Obviously for 2012 the choice was Tartu or Turku. I don't know to what extent votes were affected by travel issues, albeit those involved in casting the UK vote may well have recalled most folk's untroubled journey to and from Tallinn in 2005 (setting aside the issue of drunken Russians on one plane).

To date the biggest ever headaches I've had travel-wise was the wildcate strikes on the cross-channel ferries in 2004 threatening to derail the very first EQC in Ghent, and two members of the England senior side being unable to get to Blackpool on time in 2007. Other side of Europe, dead easy!

I also travelled to Estonia for, inter alia, the inagural Nordic Championships in June 2008 (Stansted-Tallin-Stansted) and found no problems. I appeciate November is a different kettle of fish (but note 2005's EQC was 4th-5th November).

Anyway, needless to say I'm sorry the airlines have been messing you and others about. As you'll appreciate, this is somewhat outside the control of the iQa. Our Estonian friends have said the following on Facebook...

"We here are also deeply frustrated about what the airlines are doing. The cancellations have been unexpected and unprecedented. It is most unfortunate that this mainly affects UK.

There were several reason for holding the event in Tartu. Cost was one of them but not the main one. Concerning access: Tartu is very well accessible from Tallinn and also has connections to Riga. But the air connectons are really out of our control.

We are ok with cancellation up to three weeks before the event. Then we can also refund the full amount (minus transfer fees)."

Can't say fairer than that!
Chris Jones

Bronson
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby Bronson » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:28 pm

I am going to try to re-book with Ryanair, though I may have to stay an extra day. It is good that if I have to, I can get a full refund. Very reassuring.

Thinking about the future, to keep travel down to sensible limits, then I quite like venues to be either in the UK or Ireland, but any country that is accessible by the Eurostar is fair game, as is pretty much anywhere that has an airport nearby. So even somewhere like Krakow would be fine. Quite like the idea of an out-of-season seaside resort, so long as accessible by public transport.

Just praying that snow or a plague of frogs does not interfere further!

John

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:20 pm

Hi John,

In the early days Jane and I used to cast the UK's vote on matters such as bids to host the EQC. Nowadays we defer to the membership of the national teams representing England, Scotland and Wales. We see it as of prime importance that the people actually contesting the "main event" (the European nations conmpetition) have their views considered when we have our (now somewhat limited, in relative terms) say as to where it is going to be. Jane and I would only step in with a casting vote if there was a three-way tie, and at such time we would base our decision on what we thought would be in the interests of the event as a whole.

The best way we can have solid influence is to actually put up ourselves to host the event. This is something we've done three times in the past - Paris/2006, Blackpool/2007, and Derby/2010. We also made a concrete bid to hold the 2009 event in Malta, but lost the vote to Dordrecht.

We're always open to suggestions for UK venues - both the Welsh and Scots have mooted this, and there is a part-developed English bid in the pipeline. When we next put up a UK candidate to the iQa as a proposed EQC venue we will have first garnered as much home-based support for it as possible/appropriate.

There is an outside chance the English bid could be ready for candidate status in connection with 2013, but it would have more chance perhaps for 2014 (the Finns will be hard to resist if they make a third bid in successive years for Turku). We wait to see if any home-grown competition materialises - i.e. a venue seeking the status of a UK-wide supported candidate - for either 2013 and/or 2014. It's just possible an English bid will be made for 2013 - if only to put down a marker for the UK, seeking to garner advance sympathy for a re-made bid in 2014!
Chris Jones

AnotherAnne
Grand Master Quizzer
Grand Master Quizzer

Postby AnotherAnne » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:36 pm

The thing is, of course, that it makes sense to hold it somewhere where there are already a lot of quizzers. So that's pretty much the UK, Belgium and Scandinavia / the Baltic.

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

England side(s) for the Aspirational Cup

Postby Chris » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:09 pm

This is a call to English players attending the EQC in Tartu next month who have not yet been fixed up with a Team for the opening event of the championships - to date only 7 'English' people are signed up on the official website, of those three are 3/4 of the England senior side, one I know is appearing for an ad-hoc 'International' quartet, and two others are non-playing officials (Jane and I).

Anyway, if you are going to Tartu, are English, and would like to be considered for an England representative side in the Aspirational Cup, please sing out asap. I would like to announce any such teams at the extra (Nordic) GP at Mole Hall (nr Hampton Court) a fortnight this coming Saturday.

Making a commitment to a team for the Aspirational Cup DOES NOT preclude you playing in a different quartet for Saturday night's Club Team competition.

Thank you.
Chris Jones

davetaylor
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby davetaylor » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:52 pm

Chris

I've recently signed up (and paid, I think).
If you are incredibly short, it would be unusual for me to represent my own country for a change.
Do we go down as far as England F?

Cheers

Dave

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:43 pm

Wunderbar!
Chris Jones

Return to “Archive (past events)”