2013 Mahaquizzer

This is a repository for ephemeral and/or superseded information posts and discussion topics which are nevertheless thought worthy of retention.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

2013 Mahaquizzer

Postby Chris » Sun May 19, 2013 1:55 pm

MahaQuizzer 2013, the ninth edition will be held in Bangalore and several other cities on Sunday 26th May 2013. As usual, the BQA has been able to secure contemporaneous access to the quiz so that we here in the UK can have a go at it the same day as those participating in India (rather than waiting until quite some time afterwards).

MahaQuizzer never fails to produce one of the year's most enjoyable quizzes and, with the slightly different 'Indian' approach (where information is carefully presented to enable some educated and inspired guessing) makes for quite a change. This is definitely a quiz that ranks among some UK quizzers' favourite events, a number of whom have already registered an interest in the 2013 edition!

The quiz will require one to answer 150 questions in 90 minutes and, coming as it does the weekend before the World Championships, provides an excellent opportunity for some last minute practice in answering questions of an 'international nature'. And invariably there are always one or two quiz questions that crop up in Mahaquizzer that will help you the week after!

The now very familiar Rolleston on Dove club has once again said we are welcome to quiz there and is on standby to provide us with some luncheon, subject to sufficient numbers (if push comes to shove they're ok with us leaving after the quiz to go over the road to the Spread Eagle pub to eat). The intention is that we'd kick off the quiz late morning (11.30'ish) and conclude with some lunch around 1.30pm. A charge of £1.50 will be made to cover quiz costs. Food will not be terribly expensive (circa £7 each) although individuals with deep pockets can 'push the boat out' if we do end up over the road in the pub, which has an extensive menu.

Anyone interested in meeting up to undertake the quiz should drop me a line a.s.a.p. please. I'd like to confirm numbers with the Rolleston club this coming Wednesday evening. Depending on numbers a decision will be made whether we'll eat at the club, or over the road in the pub

Venue:
Rolleston Club
15 Burnside
Rolleston On Dove
DE13 9DN

Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2013 Mahaquizzer

Postby Chris » Sun May 19, 2013 1:57 pm

Confirmed attendees so far...

Andy Tucker
Ann Hegerty
Barry Simmons
Chris Jones
Diane Hallagan
Elizabeth Gibson
Eric Wildsmith
Iwan Thomas
Neil Macaskill
Pat Gibson
Scott Dawson
Chris Jones

Giotto
Grand Master Quizzer
Grand Master Quizzer

Postby Giotto » Tue May 21, 2013 10:14 am

Please include Diane and myself. Thanks

[Gladly. Chris]
Not much in life matters, and most things don't matter at all.

neilmac
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby neilmac » Tue May 21, 2013 7:00 pm

OK please count me in but don't order any food - pub lunch looks good!

AnotherAnne
Grand Master Quizzer
Grand Master Quizzer

Postby AnotherAnne » Thu May 23, 2013 5:15 pm

Sorry, I didn't realise you weren't doing this on Facebook. I will be there, and food would be good, please.

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:32 pm

KQA have announced the results of the 2103 MahaQuizzer (held on Sunday, 26 May). Our congratulations to Anustup Datta who takes the Indian title, defeating P. Srikant and Samanth Subramanian on a tie break. All three supplied 80 correct answers apiece.

The International, off-piste title goes once again to Pat Gibson (93) who was pushed very, very hard this year by Anne Hegerty (90). The full UK results can be viewed HERE, they appear below the Top 100 results from the official championship field.

The quiz consisted of 150 questions in 90 minutes.

Well done to everyone, the MahaQuizzer setters in particular for their always most enjoyable quiz! Our thanks from us in the UK to you!
Chris Jones

Return to “Archive (past events)”