BQ2013 - Edinburgh Satellite sign-up

This is a repository for ephemeral and/or superseded information posts and discussion topics which are nevertheless thought worthy of retention.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

BQ2013 - Edinburgh Satellite sign-up

Postby Chris » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:29 pm

This thread is for people to sign-up for the BQC at the Edinburgh satellite venue on Saturday 7 September 2013.

People wishing to attend at the venue in England should look HERE instead!

We're grateful to Ewan McNaught for making the Voodoo Rooms available once more (19a West Register Street, Edinburgh EH2 2AA, 0131 556 7060). Here are the timings for the Edinburgh satellite venue...

11.00 Registration

11.30 - 12.30 British Quizzing Championship (Individuals) Part I
12.30 - 12.50 Answers & Marking
12.50 - 13.00 Short break
13.00 - 14.00 British Quizzing Championship (Individuals) Part II
14.00 - 14.20 Answers & Marking

14.20 - 14.45 Short break

14.45 - 15.45 Highbrow/Lowbrow Quiz
15.45 - 16.00 Answers and Marking

16.00 - 16.45 Hot 100
16.45- 17.00 Answers and Marking and Close

18.00 Post Quiz curry at Kushi's Indian Restaurant (optional).

THE QUIZZES

Highbrow/Lowbrow Quiz

We are combining these two, formerly separate quizzes - albeit we will rank everyone according to how they place in the better of their two half performances, and award rankings points accordingly. So, a first place in Highbrow and 36th in Lowbrow, will still see you earn the same rankings points as the person who topped the popular culture section, and vice versa. What you’ll have then is a 120 question quiz, split into two parts, 60 Highbrow and 60 Pop Culture. You could of course chose to concentrate on just one of those sections!

British Quizzing Championships (individuals) for the Mark Bytheway Trophy

Our annual, full-on 240 question quiz (ALL 240 questions count for full marks!) to determine the British Quizzing Champion 2013. At stake, the Mark Bytheway Trophy, aka ‘The Moby’

This year we will have satellite venues in both Edinburgh AND Dublin (we also made enquiries about Cardiff too). Since there will be Irish participation, with players from both the Republic and the North, players should be aware that we are making efforts in the question setting to accommodate everyone. So, however, we do all occupy the same small archipelago and share almost a thousand years of common history. We are also commonly exposed to pretty much the same music, TV and literature, and many ‘Famous Brits’ are or were of course born and raised in Ireland too (and we’re not just talking Pat Gibson!). Accordingly, you can expect the quiz to be pretty close to what it's always been, but a bit of extra revision is never wasted!

Hot 100 Quiz

This 100 question quiz has a decidedly international flavour befitting a monthly competition that is held around the globe.

British Pairs Championships

We expect perhaps as many as 50 Pairs at our English venue. Because of the knock-out element to the competition (and also venue/time constraints in Edinburgh) this competition, unlike the Individuals, is open to be won only at the central location. Questions will be available in the satellite locations. Subject to time and interest, these may be given a run-out in the evening after the curry, played for fun either in pairs or as a team-table quiz.

Pairs quizzing, first taken-up seriously here in the UK after the 2005 European Quizzing Championships in Tallinn – where Pairs quiz is the local specialty – sees a preponderance of questions in which clues make it possible to get to the correct answer via more than one route. Questions are designed to test the Pair, to see if their joint effort can exceed the sum of their combined individual knowledge.

Cost: £15 for all day (note, luncheon not provided). £4 for Hot 100 only.

Please register below if you will be attending the Voodoo Rooms on 7 September, noting if you are participating in all three individual quizzes or the Hot 100 only. Please also state if you want to reserve a seat at the table in Kushi's Indian Restaurant.

Thanks!

The directors of Quizzing Interactive/BQA reserve the right to refuse entry to competitions/events where such action is deemed appropriate.
Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa

Elginboy59
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Re: BQ2013 - Edinburgh Satellite sign-up

Postby Elginboy59 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:15 pm

Woo Hoo! Am I the first to sign up? Please enrol Roderick Cromar for all 3 quizzes but not Kushi's.
Many thanks,
R

MarkRae
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby MarkRae » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:24 pm

Count me in too for everything plus the curry.

EwanM
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby EwanM » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:25 pm

Needless to say I will be there, looking forward to it!

cheers,

Ewan

neilmac
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby neilmac » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:48 pm

Hi Ewan

Provisional booking for me and my mother, Marion Macaskill.

Won't be able to stay for the curry unfortunately, last train to Newcastle is 7pm.....

Neil Macaskill.

bonehead
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby bonehead » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi Ewan

I would like to confirm that Ken Oliver, Steve McMullan and myself, Clive Dunning will be taking part in the individuals only.

Many Thanks

Clive Dunning

EwanM
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby EwanM » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:08 pm

Thanks Clive, will see you all on the 7th.
Hope you and Marion manage to make it too, Neil!

cheers,

Ewan

EwanM
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby EwanM » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:43 pm

BQC Edinburgh attendees so far:

Hamish Cameron
Innis Carson
Grant Catto
Roderick Cromar
Clive Dunning
Mike Foden
Michael Gordon
Barry Haniford
Barry Howbridge
Marion Macaskill (tbc)
Neil Macaskill (tbc)
Keith Marshall
Dave McBryan
Steve McMullan
Ewan McNaught (Hot 100 only)
Nick Mills
Michelle Nevitt
Ken Oliver
Niall Pringle
Mark Rae
Steve Robinson
Peter Robson
John Savage
Dan Sheehy
Ryan Taylor
Ian Volante

I'll keep the thread updated as people confirm.

cheers,
Ewan
Last edited by EwanM on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 9 times in total.

noox
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby noox » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:58 am

Ewan, would you please add Keith Marshall, Mike Foden and Barry Howbridge to your list. A much more civilised starting time!

MarkRae
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby MarkRae » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 pm

Yes indeed!

BTW, if anyone is going to be in town on the Friday evening and fancies a pint, please let me know. Don't really fancy the "Rose Street Crawl" from my plooky youth, but it would great to sink a dram and have a warm-up quiz or two...

Return to “Archive (past events)”