World Quizzing Championships Saturday June 6th

This is a repository for ephemeral and/or superseded information posts and discussion topics which are nevertheless thought worthy of retention.
KenOwen
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Re: World Quizzing Championships Saturday June 6th

Postby KenOwen » Sun May 31, 2015 10:48 pm

Circumstances are conspiring against us as a group.

However, I at least hope to make it. I'll hog the roast, but no brewery tour for me thanks - did one a little while ago.

Probably up for anything happening on Friday and Saturday night too.

Cheers

Ken

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:08 am

Hi Ken,

If you could let me know asap if others in your party have to drop out. The hog roast with trimmings is £20 a head and it's a bit too expensive to be over-ordering ;)
Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa

johnwilson
Candidate Master Quizzer
Candidate Master Quizzer

Postby johnwilson » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:48 pm

Hog roast £20 a head. Really?

KenOwen
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby KenOwen » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:39 am

I suspect, John, that it is a condition of using the venue that they insist we have their caterers. It's how many venues make up for offering the room/facilities free or at "reduced" rates - as you may well know [also possibly subject to a "minimum total charge" - hog roasts can cater for more people with one hog than we may have attending]. Apologies for any "elderly relative/oology" tendency on my part!

And, for the avoidance of doubt, I have responded to Chris over our lot's attendance, separately - wouldn't want anyone to think I have ignored him!

Cheers

Ken

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:49 am

Yes John, it's more than just the food we're paying for [hog roast option 2]. It's an all-in price. There's the marquee, the free parking for everyone (worth £10 a day in some towns), and all the staff time/facilities that go along with it. And the hog roast itself is accompanied by lots in the way of trimmings.

Bear in mind your average hotel charges £25 - £30 plus VAT for "day delegate rates", and all you get for that is a buffet, a room, a flip-chart and a saucer full of mint imperials.
Chris Jones

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:59 am

As I recall the cost of the WQC in 2004 (Old Trafford) was £17.95 a head for food, yes, all those years ago! And quite a figure when you have regard to the fact we only charged £15 a head for the whole day, quizzes included. That was made possible due to the generosity of one very kind quizzer (she sponsored the event to the tune of £500) plus the fees Jane charged for various publishers/buzzer sellers she managed to get along to the event. So, however, we 'lost' money on [i.e. subsidised] that event, and (inter alia) the WQC the following year.
Chris Jones

johnwilson
Candidate Master Quizzer
Candidate Master Quizzer

Postby johnwilson » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:47 am

Ah. I understand.

Luigi
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby Luigi » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:55 pm

Hi Chris,
not sure if I understood it right - is it necessary for us to specify that we want hog roast included or is it included by default and the price of 30 pounds is fixed for everyone?

[Hi Luigi,

The entry price is £30, this includes food (based on the deal we have with the venue for the use of their facilities etc.). People ONLY need to specify if they want the vegetarian option, although they realy ought to have done that by Monday, when the food order went in.

Hope this helps.

Chris]

employment60
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby employment60 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:43 pm

Could you add me please?

Tony Walmsley

[Have done. Chris]

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:59 pm

Just to confirm, the brewery tour is ON. Look out for details on Friday about where to meet for the commencement of your Boozy-Wonka experience. :)

There are still places available for the tour. You have until Friday noon to sign-up.
Chris Jones

Return to “Archive (past events)”