Pre and Apre Quiz, 5/6 June: Burton WQC

This is a repository for ephemeral and/or superseded information posts and discussion topics which are nevertheless thought worthy of retention.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pre and Apre Quiz, 5/6 June: Burton WQC

Postby Chris » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:13 pm

The World Quizzing Championships are nearly upon us... so now it's time for ancilliary matters, i.e. Friday and Saturday night pre/apre quiz.

FRIDAY:

A group is meeting up at the Devonshire Arms c. 8pm and will be going for a curry at 9pm. The 'Devvy' is a popular real ale pub selling beer brewed locally at the Burton Bridge Brewery (also a pub). The local curry houses have no drinks license and you can either take your own cans etc. (booze only, soft drinks have to be purchased in the restaurant) or bring in beers from in pub glasses - they are happy to let you take your drinks with you.

SATURDAY:

A former cinema, The Ritz, is within easy walking distance, around the corner from the quiz venue (5 min stroll, if that). This is a world buffet type place, eat all you want for £14.99 (that's the Saturday evening premium price). The food available includes Indian, Chinese, Mexican, and Italian. There's enormous choice, everything from smoked salmon and salads to fresh cooked pizza. And there are chefs on hand to cook certain food in front of you at their 'chef's stations' - duck and pancakes, kebabs, enchiladas, etc. etc. This place carries the Kevin Ashman seal of approval (he and I went there a couple of weeks ago). Great value for money.

Interested? Please speak-up. In particular, if you want to join us tomorrow evening (Friday) please let me know by 7pm tonight as I shall be looking to book a table.

Thanks, Chris

Mobile number is... Zero Seven 867 Nine 72 64 Zero
Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa

colindaff
Quizzer
Quizzer

Re: Pre and Apre Quiz, 5/6 June: Burton WQC

Postby colindaff » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:22 pm

Hi Chris,

I'd like to sign up for both nights please!

Thanks

Colin

[Marvellous. Chris]

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:54 pm

This is the splendid pub where Friday night's Eve of WQC fun starts.

Pub website

There's a good selection of locally brewed real all (Burton Bridge Brewery) and the staff and regulars are very friendly. Licensees Penny & Jackie Walker won CAMRA pub of the year at their last place - they moved because every time they won an award, and they won several, the landlord put the pub up for sale at an inflated price. As well as running a lovely pub their Monday night quiz is good as well, as I can personally vouch for, being a regular competitor along with a team of friends and neighbours!

Daily Telegraph Review: The Devonshire Arms
Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa

KenOwen
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby KenOwen » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:09 pm

Up for both, Chris, as you know!

Cheers

Ken

Return to “Archive (past events)”