Rochester Grand Prix

This is a repository for ephemeral and/or superseded information posts and discussion topics which are nevertheless thought worthy of retention.
Jane
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rochester Grand Prix

Postby Jane » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:32 pm

Our next Quizzing.co.uk Grand Prix takes place at The Vines, Rochester, Kent on 4 July 2015. Upwards of 70 of the country's top quizzers are expected to assemble there for individual and team events. The venue is within easy walking distance of Rochester train station, itself just 40 minutes from central London.

After the main event concludes, we will repair to a friendly real-ale hostelry, The Good Intent which in past years has been the scene of a great evening's après Grand Prix quizzing. While circumstances mean we can't expect to have a whole room to ourselves this year, we can till be assured of a warm welcome and a myriad of quiz questions will be asked to keep us occupied between beverages.

Our venue (post-code ME1 1XN) The Vines, United Reformed Church, is next door to Restoration House where Charles II spent his first night in the country after his final return from exile (by way of curious juxtaposition it was also once owned by Rod Hull).Please note: our venue is the more recent extension at the REAR of the original, more "Gothic-looking" church building. Also, the original building fronts on to Crow Lane, but there is only PEDESTRIAN access from that road - for vehicular access, folk MUST arrive via Victoria Street and The Terrace. In any event, the route for cars, being on the right side of the building for Rochester train station, is likely the best one for use by pedestrians also!

The Vines (note: United Reformed Church, NOT a nearby park of the same name) sits slap bang in the middle of historic Rochester. The city boasts a fabulous and historically important Norman castle, and a fine cathedral. The city has close links to Charles Dickens and in neighbouring Chatham there's also the historic dockyards, Fort Amherst, and the Royal Engineers museum at Brompton to see.

Grand Prix Schedule

11.00 - 11.30 Registration
11:30 - 13:00 Individual quiz
13:00 - 13:45 Individual quiz answers and scoring
13:45 - 15:00 Buffet Lunch*
15:00 - 16:30 Team Quiz (equitable random draw)
16.30 - 17.30 Hot100 and answers
17:30 - 17:45 Prize giving and closure of formal event
17:45 - 22:00 Carousing and informal quiz at The Good Intent pub in John Street.

* No alcohol allowed on the premises, extra time has been allowed over lunch to enable folk to make a quick trip out!

Entry fee for the full day, including all quizzes and buffet lunch is £25. First-timers get half-price entry.

We are very grateful to Ken Owen for organising this venue for us, and much more. He has also made arrangements with The Good Intent - a past winner of Medway CAMRA's "Pub of the Year" - for us to be welcome and to once again enjoy delivery of an Indian meal (£8 each) the choice being a mild or medium meat or a vegetable curry. To this end we could do with as early indication as possible on numbers. So, if you plan to attend, please visit the relevant thread in this forum let us know a.s.a.p. if you want a meat (mild or medium) or vegetarian curry!

Elspethparks1215
Quizzer
Quizzer

Re: Rochester Grand Prix

Postby Elspethparks1215 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:47 pm

Syd and I will be there for the quizzing. Many thanks, Elspeth

Elginboy59
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby Elginboy59 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:29 am

Please enrol me for the whole day's quizzing. I'll pay by PayPal. I won't staying for the curry though.
Many thanks,
Roderick

NickArcher
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby NickArcher » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:55 am

Please include me for all quizzing activities.

Thanks.

Nick

johnwilson
Candidate Master Quizzer
Candidate Master Quizzer

Postby johnwilson » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:18 pm

Doing a cruise from Nuremberg to Budapest that week , so will have to decline

Is there room in the cabin for one more? A big one! V. jealous... Chris

KenOwen
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby KenOwen » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:13 pm

Shows a shocking lack of commitment John - you could arrange to have a return flight to bring you back for the quiz, then rejoin the cruise!

Have a great time - and I'll miss you!

Warm regards

Ken

Rhino60
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby Rhino60 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:52 pm

Hi

Please include me for the day events only.

Thanks

Martin

PeteD
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby PeteD » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:42 pm

Ian Welham and Pete Daniel will be making the long journey south.

Pete

see later note - can you add Ian to the list for a medium meat curry please.

Thanks
Last edited by PeteD on Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

batleyboy
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby batleyboy » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:27 am

Due to my eldest preferring to visit her boyfriend in Cambridge rather than seeing her old dad on her birthday, I am now pleased to say I'll be at Rochester.

clutton2
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby clutton2 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:31 am

Hi team

Both Phil Bennion and Martin Johnson will be there and can we make it 3 for the curry please? That's 2 for the meat medium (including the valiant Mrs J) and one meat mild for Phil.

Any get together for those staying on the Friday by any chance??

All the best

Martin

Return to “Archive (past events)”