Rochester Grand Prix - 2 July 2016 - SIGN UP PAGE

This is a repository for ephemeral and/or superseded information posts and discussion topics which are nevertheless thought worthy of retention.
Harri

Re: Rochester Grand Prix - 2 July 2016 - SIGN UP PAGE

Postby Harri » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:27 pm

Please register John and Jamie Hall for the Rochester Grand Prix. We'll have to pay on the door because the technology of PayPal etc. is beyond me. John will be staying for the team quiz, but Jamie will be leaving after the main quiz. Thanks, regards John Hall.

misterig
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby misterig » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:19 am

I'll be there for the morning and for the buffet lunch, but will have to leave straight after that. Money follows by Paypal.

Ian Clark

rjpvc17

Postby rjpvc17 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:54 pm

Hi Chris,

I will be attending the quiz on Saturday and also the "apres" event. Will pay on the day.

Dick Cribb

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:53 pm

I'm putting out this call to all who may be thinking of coming to Rochester but haven't yet committed. If you do intent to come, please declare that intention as we will be putting-in our food and printing orders in the next couple of days.

I'm out of the country presently and will not be following my usual pre-event Friday night vigil - where I sit by my computer waiting to see how many 11th hour registrations come in before firing up my printer at 2.00am. I will pretty much be driving straight to Rochester after arriving back in the country, so if you want to have the best chance of there being quiz papers for you, and there being lunch as well, please declare ASAP or risk disappointment. Thanks.
Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa

MykReeve
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby MykReeve » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:50 pm

Count me in. Money coming via Paypal shortly.

KenOwen
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby KenOwen » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:59 pm

I am pleased to say that, as in previous years, a couple of local shops will give a discount to any quizzers attending the Rochester Grand Prix.

Baggins Book Bazaar

This is the largest second-hand bookshop in England. Do not be deceived by the standard-sized shop-front. It is like the Tardis! It goes back and back and up and out.

The proprietor, Godfrey, will give us a 10% discount on purchases of £25 or more.

Kaizen Antiques and Jewellery

I am delighted to say that Jason is happy to increase the discount we enjoy. He thinks that on most things, he can offer 20% or more - but open to negotiation, depending on the amount of the purchase. He's a good guy, so start bartering!

Both the above are in the High Street

Unfortunately Bewitched, which has given us a discount before, has closed.

Looking forward to seeing all you lovely quizzers

Ken

Numberone
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby Numberone » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:47 pm

My post from a fortnight ago appears to have disappeared. I would pay on the day and not attend the apres quiz event. Am I still ok.

Derek Moody

Sure Derek, see you Saturday. Chris

Numberone
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby Numberone » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:38 am

Thanks

steinolav
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby steinolav » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:37 pm

I'll be there tomorrow. But just the morning (plus lunch).

Thanks,
Olav

KenOwen
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby KenOwen » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:35 am

Hi Folks!

Thanks so much for those of you who made the trip to Rochester! I hope you had a great time!

Each year, I agonise over my team quiz as I prepare it. I want it to be fun, and challenging. I want to pose questions which, even if you don't get them, when you hear the answers, you go "aaaah" or "really?"

This year, there were only three questions which nobody got on the day. Interestingly, one of those WAS identified, with no hesitation, by one of my "road testers" (huge shout out to Nic Paul, Barry Simmons and Diane Hallaghan).

These are the questions.

1. What was Bob the Builder's difficult "second album", featuring such gems as "Big Fish, Little Fish" and with a title that was a play on words of a TV music programme?

Answer - Never Mind the Breeze Blocks

A few got close to this. But it was one of the ones that, as I said on the day, I would be happy if no-one got, because it was, nevertheless (I thought), a great piece of information. Actually, one team told me they got it, but dismissed it as too risible. More fool them, eh? And, as I mentioned, it was a question (worded the other way round) on the Chase a couple of weeks back (after I had written it). This made me all the more surprised that no-one got it. Hopefully, you all enjoyed it (and the laughter in the room when I announced the answer made me think that this was the case)

2. The first competitive match at Wimbledon played under the new cover for Centre Court, in 2009, included which previous singles' winner?

Answer - Amelie Mauresmo

Nobody got it on the day - but one of the road testers got it without any problem.

Particularly as I specified it was a competitive match, rather than an exhibition match (as was held, and as I mentioned), I don't think it was an unreasonable question, as the person would still have to have been a "contender". But I am happy to be corrected on that!

3 The four letter name of the yachting company which produced the luxury runabout boat called the "Ferrari of the boat world", as featured in novels about celebrities and so forth, such as the Bond books and other writings.

Answer - Riva

This was the one that most surprised me when nobody had the right answer. I would have thought a few people would have known this. But, as no-one got it, perhaps that was a misjudgment on my part.

Anyway. With just three such questions out of 80, and with even the lowest scoring team getting a total of over 50%, I hope I judged it correctly. However, I always want to learn ways of making the day more enjoyable for you. If you want to let me have any comments about that, please DO tell me. I am happy to have such comments on the public thread, but IF you feel unsure about taking me to task in the public forum, you are welcome to message me privately. However, please don't worry in that regard. I have broad shoulders!

And I hope to see you all (and many others) again next year, and give you an even better experience of Rochester!

Warm regards

Ken

Return to “Archive (past events)”