KQA MindSweep, 2017 Edition (Sunday May 14th)

This is a repository for ephemeral and/or superseded information posts and discussion topics which are nevertheless thought worthy of retention.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

KQA MindSweep, 2017 Edition (Sunday May 14th)

Postby Chris » Thu May 04, 2017 2:28 pm

We will stage the UK proctored venue for this event at the Rolleston Club, Rolleston on Dove, East Staffordshire. I will endeavour to be at the venue for 11.30, for a 12.00 noon start. After the quiz folk can pop across to the Spread Eagle pub for food, among other options - unless people want me to get a buffet organised at the club?

We'll ask for a payment of £5 each please to cover printing costs and room hire. This will rise to £10 if we are to have a buffet on site (please indicate preference, and we'll go with the majority

Please indicate belowe, by Saturday noon (13 May), if you intend to participate, so I can make sure there's enough question sets to meet needs, and make a decision about food.

Those of you who have been to one of these Indian quizzes at the club previously will know we'll either be in the corner snooker room, or the main function room. If you do arrive at the venue before me, and should the weather be nice, you can take a seat outside the club and admire the view across the Dove brook.

Directions if travelling by car

Coming via the M1 from the North
Leave M1 at Junction 28, take A38 Derby exit at roundabout. Stay on A38 and nearing Derby, signs will change to A38 Burton-on-Trent. 10 miles further on take the Burton North/Clay Mills junction - stay in right hand lane going up the slip road and be prepared to make a series of right turns, so that you come back on yourself, as if to rejoin the A38 going in the opposite direction. As you start to go down the slip road there is a left turn signposted for Rolleston and Tutbury. Take this turn and follow the road for about a mile. After passed through countryside you come to an area with housing on the left, and numerous speed bumps etc. in the road. After a half a mile you approach the centre of the village and will see a large pub, the Spread Eagle, situated just beyond a small stone bridge. Turn left immediately BEFORE the bridge. The Rolleston club is on the left, about 50 yards further on. Turn left at the end of the building’s frontage for access to ample off-road parking.

Coming via the M1 from the South
Leave M1 at Junction 24 onto the A50 - Stoke Road. Leave A50 at Junction 4 for A38 Burton and follow signs as above, looking for the Burton North/Clay Mills junction after a mile or two.

Coming via the M6 from the North
Leave M6 junction 16 onto A500 follow signs for Stoke and exit onto A50 Uttoxter/Derby. Stay on A50 and exit at Burton on Trent junction by Hays Dove Valley Distribution and follow signs for Burton. Turning right at Salt Box junction, go through Hatton and then straight over mini roundabout and first left at next roundabout onto bypass. At next roundabout take the first left for Rolleston and follow the road round into the village. Just after the Spread Eagle pub (on your right) is a small stone bridge, turn right IMMEDIATELY AFTER the bridge, the Rolleston club is on the left, about 50 yards further on. Turn left at the end of the building’s frontage for access to ample off-road parking.

Coming via the M42
Take junction 9 off M42 following signs for Lichfield, passing The Belfry golf course. Keep following Lichfield signs and you will arrive at A38. Stay on A38 towards Derby and take the second Burton exit marked Burton North/Clay Mills. There is a very tight turn at the exit and once you straighten up you will see a right turn marked for Rolleston and Tutbury. Take the turn and follow the road for a mile to a mile and a half. You will reach an area with houses on the left, the road having numerous speed bumps etc.. A half-mile further on you approach the centre of the village and will see a large pub, the Spread Eagle, situated beyond a small stone bridge. Turn left immediately BEFORE the bridge. The Rolleston club is on the left, about 50 yards further on. Turn left at the end of the building’s frontage for access to ample off-road parking.

Directions if travelling by rail
Derby station (direct London) is about 10 miles away. Connections are available to Burton but it may be better to get one of the express busses which run to Burton, visiting the villages along the way (see Trent Barton Villager, V1.)

Burton upon Trent station - 4 miles

One alternative, if you are coming from the North West, is to get the train to Tutbury & Hatton on the Stoke-Derby line. This is only 2-3 miles from Rolleston. The V1 bus service (see previous para) that runs past the station just before 11.30am will drop you off by the Spread Eagle/Rolleston Club at 11.35 am on its way towards Burton on Trent. There's no bus after this until 1.30 ish. The return bus from Rolleston to Tutbury & Hatton station is at 3.22pm.

If you can't get to Tutbury & Hatton just before 11.30, it may be possible for me to pick you up there - this will save you around an hour's journey time - i.e. going into Derby, waiting for a connection to Burton, and then getting a cab from Burton to Rolleston. But please note I will have to be at the club around noon to use my pass key to get our other guests into the club.

My mobile phone number is zero 7867 nine seven two 640.
Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: KQA MindSweep, 2017 Edition (Sunday May 14th)

Postby Chris » Thu May 04, 2017 4:28 pm

12 Attendees thus far...

Andrew Hunter
Anne Hegerty
Barry Simmons
Chris Grandison
Chris Jones
Diane Hallagan
Gary Morewood
Ian Fennell
Ian Welham
Iwan Thomas
Pat Gibson
Steve Cooke

The buffet was the most popular ption, so it's £10 each please to cover food, venue hire and printing. Thanks.
Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa

Giotto
Grand Master Quizzer
Grand Master Quizzer

Postby Giotto » Fri May 05, 2017 2:13 pm

Diane and I will be coming
Not much in life matters, and most things don't matter at all.

PATG
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby PATG » Wed May 10, 2017 11:37 am

I will be there.
Foodwise - a slight preference for buffet but easy either way.
Pat Gibson

Return to “Archive (past events)”