British Quizzing Championships - Coventry (2 Sept)

This is a repository for ephemeral and/or superseded information posts and discussion topics which are nevertheless thought worthy of retention.
Jane
Site Admin
Site Admin

British Quizzing Championships - Coventry (2 Sept)

Postby Jane » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:57 pm

Saturday 2 September will see quizzers assemble at the Standard Triumph Club in Coventry and at the Voodoo Rooms in Edinburgh for the 18th annual British Quizzing Championships. The winner will emerge as the holder of the coveted Mark Bytheway Trophy.

COVENTRY VENUE

CHANGE OF VENUE!!!!

Saturday 2 September will see quizzers assemble at the Standard Triumph Club in Coventry and at the Voodoo Rooms in Edinburgh for the 18th annual British Quizzing Championships. The winner will emerge as the holder of the coveted Mark Bytheway Trophy.

COVENTRY VENUE

Our venue is the Standard Triumph Club. It is easy to find by road, with FREE parking available on site for 200 cars. The closest train station is Canley. Following a site visit to the Ricoh, it transpired that they now have a match going on during the day when we would be there - something that has been arranged since we booked. Being in a room in the stands would mean it would likely be very noisy and so is not going to work for our needs. Happily, we have managed to secure another huge room in Coventry, with a bar and free parking, that's nice and close to Canley station. Apologies for any inconvenience. (Food will now be fish and chips.)

Standard Triumph Club
Coventry Business Park
Herald Avenue,
Coventry
West Midlands CV5 6UB

(Details of the Edinburgh event can be found here: http://www.quizzing.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=676)

THE SCHEDULE

11.00 - 11.30 Registration
11.30 - 12.20 British Quizzing Championship (Individuals) Part I
12.20 - 12.45 Answers & Marking
12.45 - 13.00 Short break
13.00 - 13.50 British Quizzing Championship (Individuals) Part II
13.50 - 14.15 Answers & Marking
14.15 - 15.15 Lunch (Chilli)
15.15 - 17.45 British Quizzing Championships (Pairs)
17.45 - 18.00 Results & Presentations
18.00 - 18.45 Hot 100 (You can take this away with you.)
18.45 - 19.00 Answers, Marking, and Close
19.30 - Post event curry. We will be heading over to the Asiana Restaurant, 311 Holbrook Lane, Holbrooks, Coventry CV6 4DG (5 mins by car/15 mins on foot).

Please Note: There will chilli for lunch. Anyone with a genuine aversion/intolerance to this is welcome to bring a packed lunch and their entry fee will be discounted by £4. This will need to be agreed and acknowledged beforehand so we don't over-order.

THE QUIZZES

2017 British Quizzing Championships (individuals) for the Mark Bytheway Trophy

Our annual, full-on 240 question quiz in which ALL 240 questions across six genres count for full marks! At stake, the Mark Bytheway Trophy, aka ‘The Moby’.

This year we'll once again have a satellite venue in Edinburgh.

British Pairs Championships

Pairs quizzing, first taken-up seriously here in the UK after the 2005 European Quizzing Championships in Tallinn – where Pairs quiz is the local speciality – sees a preponderance of questions in which clues make it possible to get to the correct answer via more than one route. Questions are designed to test the Pair, to see if their joint effort can exceed the sum of their combined individual knowledge. Entries are invited from 'pre-formed' pairs or pairings can be arranged ad-hoc on the day.

This is a unique event in the British quiz calendar. After an initial qualifying round the contest proceeds by rounds, with Pairs being eliminated along the way until a remaining cluster of Pairs fight it out in a Final round. Everyone else gets to keep quizzing, recording their scores, with a prize for top overall score as well as the actual competition/knockout winners. Players are encouraged to form Pairs in advance of 6 August. So, however, if immediately prior to the event you still do not have a partner, we will find you one. There will be a prize for the best performance by one of these last-minute, 'scratch' Pairs. This will be whichever of them goes furthest in the main contest - if necessary separated on score/tie rules if the last two or more go out of the competition at the same stage.

We expect around 50 Pairs at our English venue. Because of the knock-out element to the competition (and also venue/time constraints in Edinburgh) this competition, unlike the Individuals, is open to be won only in Coventry. Questions will be available in Edinburgh though, where they will be played as a team quiz.

Hot 100 Quiz

This 100 question quiz has an entirely international flavour befitting a monthly competition that is held around the globe. Since it will help inform England teams selection for the Quiz Olympiad.

COSTINGS

£25.00 including lunch.
First timers: £12.50
Undergraduates: £12.50 (on production of a valid NUS card)

As the BQC is a very hectic day for us, with lots of people to look after, it would assist us greatly if you could register and pay in advance. Payment can be made via PayPal - payments@quizzing.co.uk. Many thanks!

Please post in this thread to let us know if you plan to attend.

Numberone
Quizzer
Quizzer

Re: British Quizzing Championships - Coventry (2 Sept)

Postby Numberone » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:59 pm

I will be attending. Will pay on the day.

Derek Moody

Elspethparks1215
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby Elspethparks1215 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:05 pm

Hi Jane, Syd and I will be along and will have the chilli. We will be a pair for the Pairs. Thanks very much, Elspeth x

Numberone
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby Numberone » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:38 pm

Peter Watson will also be attending as well

NickArcher
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby NickArcher » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:48 pm

Please include me for all quizzing activities plus chilli.

Thanks.

Nick

ajburford
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby ajburford » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:12 pm

I'll be attending all day (including lunch).

PayPal to follow.

Thanks

Andrew

charlotte1606
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby charlotte1606 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:18 pm

I will be attending - I'll pay on the day.

Thanks.

Isabelle Heward

Elginboy59
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby Elginboy59 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:45 pm

Please register Roderick for the whole day. Just paid by PayPal. Looking for a partner who is the opposite of me.

BrianDavis
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby BrianDavis » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:37 pm

Please register me for the Event at Coventry... including the lunchtime chilli.
Many thanks and Good Luck to everyone.

Brian Davis

daveg

Postby daveg » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:22 pm

Jane

Please count me in for the day.

Will pay by PayPal.

Thanks

Dave Gregson

Return to “Archive (past events)”