Friday night in Burton (2 December)

This is a repository for ephemeral and/or superseded information posts and discussion topics which are nevertheless thought worthy of retention.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Friday night in Burton (2 December)

Postby Chris » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:37 pm

Saturday's British Open Quiz Grand Prix is nearly upon us, but before that there's the matter of who, besides Mr Kevin Ashman and myself will be in Burton on Friday, looking for some quizzical company? Please post below and options will be discussed/explored.
Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa

KenOwen
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Re: Friday night in Burton (2 December)

Postby KenOwen » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:55 pm

Hi Chris

Dick Cribb and I are driving up on Friday. It will depend on what time we arrive as to whether it is possible to join you. And we will need to eat, since we will have been travelling since the afternoon.

I haven't yet spoken to Dick, but imagine we might well like to join you at the local pub quiz you have mentioned. Will we be able to get a meal there (before or running in to the quiz, depending on time)?

Cheers

Ken

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:47 pm

Hi Ken,

The pub I've a mind for us to go to doesn't do food. So, however, if you want to give me a bell, or tell me where you're staying, I can offer some tips/suggestions.

Chris

P.S. Are you up for the curry on Saturday?
Chris Jones

narkyiain
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby narkyiain » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:13 pm

I'm getting a lift up from my parents(they're going to have a look round the local atrractions open at the weekend), and they fancy a pub quiz while they're there so we'll all be up for it.

Iain.

You'll all be very welcome. We'll be in the lounge of The Duke of York (see link in next post) and I'll run a friendly pub quiz from about 9.00pm. Chris

KenOwen
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby KenOwen » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:35 am

Hi Chris.

We are staying at a B&B, Redmoor House, DE15 0HZ.

We have been there before, and, as I recall, it is a couple of miles from Burton town centre (although I appreciate that this may make it a mile or two further from the actual venue for Saturday).

Dick and I are hoping to set off around 2.30-3pm on Friday - but, naturally, anything can happen when one has to negotiate the M25!

I have learned tonight that Pat Collet and Helen will be staying with us for the Friday night (originally it would just have been the Saturday night), although they will still be doing "their own thing" with friends from the past on the Friday. However, all of us will, I am sure, be happy to participate in the Indian takeaway (ie, bring it to the venue) on Saturday night.

Does that answer your questions sufficiently?

Cheers!

Ken

Ken, the planned Indian Takeaway is for the Coventry event in January. This week we're going to the restaurant - hence my comments about it being unlicensed and people being welcome to take their own booze ('tho not soft drinks). So, however, I'll put the four of you down for the curry and close the list. We're full now! Regards Chris

P.S. Your B&B is well placed. Meal-wise on Friday your best bet is to head into Burton, over the Trent, and follow the signs for Derby. Shortly after passing Burton Albion football ground, and then a MacDonalds (both on your left), there's a roundabout. Take a left and you'll see the car park for the Mill House pub (it's very close to the Bilash Spice, where we're eating Saturday). This is a pub geared for food and often has offers (2 for a £10 etc.). It also has 'soft-play'! After eating it's a simple matter to get to the pub where we'll be drinking. You retrace your steps on the main road and then keep going ahead after passing Burton Albion FC (now on your right) and go straight ahead at the next roundabout. Then, take a right turn (signposted for the hospital) and then the next left. The pub is then 300m down the road on your right. It's a lovely little boozer called the Duke of York. I plan to start a friendly pub quiz there circa 9.00pm.

Google Map references:

Your B&B: DE15 0HZ
Mill House Pub: James Brindley Way
Bilash Spice: James Brindley Way
Duke of York: 27-28 Victoria Street [also does B&B]
Burton Albion FC: Pirelli Stadium
Rolleston Club: 15 Burnside, Rolleston

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:27 pm

Anyone planning to come to The Duke of York on Friday evening (lounge, door to which is on the side of the pub, i.e. Edward Street) you might want to take a note of a good, reliable and cheap local taxi firm... Alpine can be reached on 01283 845 055.

My number of you need it is 07867 972 six four oh.

If you get there early (i.e. well in advance of 9.00pm) perhaps have a squeeze into the tap room, and step back in time - accessed via the front door, which is right on building's corner, where Victoria St. (front) and Edward St. (side) meet.

Mine hosts are Dave and Shelley; lovely boozer, lovely couple.

Marston's Website about the pub.
Chris Jones

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:35 pm

See you all tonight, I hope (I've put a lot of effort into getting a suitable quiz together)!!!

:?:
Chris Jones

Return to “Archive (past events)”