World's Worst Pub Quiz

Anything you like - as long as it's quiz-related!
Dogmanjack
Quizzer
Quizzer

Re: World's Worst Pub Quiz

Postby Dogmanjack » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:26 pm

This one guy, who filled in for the landlord at our pub, his quiz was good overall, but he's not the best question asker/writer. That is, one question was asked thus:
"There is a television programme, set in Norway, and the woman in it, she's quite peculiar, and she's gained notoriety for her fashion sense. She wears jumpers. But not just any jumpers. She wears chunky knit awful jumpers like an auntie might knit you for your Christmas present. Awful jumpers. But she wears them, and is famous for them. So the question is, what is the name of the programme that the detective with the jumpers appears in?"

petewins57
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby petewins57 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:41 pm

I was at a pub quiz a while back where the QM had a sheet of questions given out by the pub chain, from which he would not deviate. If it was anything different from what appeared in front of him in black & white, it was wrong.

So we had ...
Q: What is the largest city on the Danube?
A: Cairo
... surprisingly, nobody got this.

To deviate slightly with a favourite answer, I was QM at q quiz recently where the idea of the round was that all of the answers began & ended with the letter 'A'.

Normally, we don't worry too much about correct spellings, but my favourite answer was to Q6 - Which 1988 film caper starred Michael Palin as Ken Pile & John Cleese as Archie Leach?
Answer given? A Fish Called Wander
Points awarded for rendering one marker completely useless for the best part of a minute.
Pete
Head of Qulaity Control

Jockosaurus
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby Jockosaurus » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:39 am

Last night I asked what was the phoenetic alphabet word for U and one team answered "Ukelele". :mrgreen:

RobJones
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby RobJones » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:23 am

A work colleague told me he was at a quiz last night and all teams were rather put out at being told that the TV series M*A*S*H was set during the Vietnam War.

Quiz 'master' would not accept any comeback, claiming 'that's what it says here'...

Damn those bought in questions.

petewins57
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby petewins57 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:22 pm

petewins57 wrote:I was at a pub quiz a while back where the QM had a sheet of questions given out by the pub chain, from which he would not deviate. If it was anything different from what appeared in front of him in black & white, it was wrong.

So we had ...
Q: What is the largest city on the Danube?
A: Cairo
... surprisingly, nobody got this.

To deviate slightly with a favourite answer, I was QM at q quiz recently where the idea of the round was that all of the answers began & ended with the letter 'A'.

Normally, we don't worry too much about correct spellings, but my favourite answer was to Q6 - Which 1988 film caper starred Michael Palin as Ken Pile & John Cleese as Archie Leach?
Answer given? A Fish Called Wander
Points awarded for rendering one marker completely useless for the best part of a minute.

We ran the latter question again in a charity quiz this week - same thing happened!
Pete
Head of Qulaity Control

Moodymark
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby Moodymark » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:04 pm

Running the sad life which i lead i was watching Challenge TV earlier this morning and found myself watching a repeat of 'In it to win it'.

It was the episode where one of the most commonest 'wrong answer' was given. It was'nt so much the wrong answer given was the probelm it was the cock-sure cocky of , Sean, the contestant. I've read the transcript of the question elsewhere on various other website. But to put you in the picture the transcript was as follows

Dale Winton - 'Sean, for a share of £60,000 - giving you £20,000 this is your question -

Skegness can be found on the coast of which body of water?

A - Irish Sea B - English Channel C - North Sea.

Sean - 'I know this, i know where Skegness is, so my answer is the 'Irish Sea'

Dale - 'Do you wish for me to take your answer of...... The Irish Sea'?

Sean - 'Yes, Dale.. you can even start writing out the cheque.... Irish Sea it is'

:o

It was'nt the issue that Sean got the question wrong, fully understand we can't and don't know everything and understand that people's understanding and knowledge varies. I fully respect that. What, a times i do seem find strange even after 20+ years of quizzing is people's cocky, cocky-sure approach and attitude with what they think the answer is.

Does this approach to understanding/knowing a question bother anyone else, or is it just me?

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:47 pm

What troubles me are those occasions when I'm sure my answer was right and the question setter/person reading the quiz is wrong - when in fact it's ME who is in error. Thankfully it doesn't happen often, but it happens more often than I'd like. In fact it happened on Sunday just gone, although I was just one person among 90% of the room convinced the answer was wrong (I won't tell you what the question was because it is in fact a belter, and I plan to nick it - it's just a shame the setter didn't provide more info with the answer, so the person reading out the quiz could rebuff complaints and settle the kerfuffle that ensued).
Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa

Moodymark
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby Moodymark » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:51 pm

Chris wrote:What troubles me are those occasions when I'm sure my answer was right and the question setter/person reading the quiz is wrong - when in fact it's ME who is in error. Thankfully it doesn't happen often, but it happens more often than I'd like. In fact it happened on Sunday just gone, although I was just one person among 90% of the room convinced the answer was wrong (I won't tell you what the question was because it is in fact a belter, and I plan to nick it - it's just a shame the setter didn't provide more info with the answer, so the person reading out the quiz could rebuff complaints and settle the kerfuffle that ensued).

Good point - It's honourable that we can actually accept/realise that, like you say Chris, it's Me/Us/I who are actually in the wrong and the not question/QM. As i mention i have no probelm with wrong answers of any kind it's just when the individual/team are so cock sure, bordering on arrogence that THEY think their answer is correct, that's where i struggle at times.

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:00 pm

All good points Mark. Whether they are right or wrong, I dislike people being arrogant about their answers/choices.

One of my favourite moments from WWTBAM? came after a contestant had thrown a cheque on the floor (a sort of "No, I don't want to be given that" paraphrase) and then didn't know the answer to the next question and dipped-out*. Chris Tarrant sat passively while the guy was left to retrieve his previously discarded cheque. Almost instant Karma!

* it may have been a £32k cheque and he got the next one wrong, I can't quite remember which. I do remember the look on his face though as he realised he'd have to get out of his chair and sheepishly pick up the cheque he had thrown down.
Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa

Moodymark
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby Moodymark » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:36 am

Chris wrote:All good points Mark. Whether they are right or wrong, I dislike people being arrogant about their answers/choices.

One of my favourite moments from WWTBAM? came after a contestant had thrown a cheque on the floor (a sort of "No, I don't want to be given that" paraphrase) and then didn't know the answer to the next question and dipped-out*. Chris Tarrant sat passively while the guy was left to retrieve his previously discarded cheque. Almost instant Karma!

* it may have been a £32k cheque and he got the next one wrong, I can't quite remember which. I do remember the look on his face though as he realised he'd have to get out of his chair and sheepishly pick up the cheque he had thrown down.

I do remember the WWTBAM incident, i could'nt help but giggle at the guy.

I just dont know if it's me or others do share this. I watch and follow people who have this cock sure approach and i feel it's justice when it's revealed that their answer is wrong. Maybe it's just me being a fussy old arse! :oops: - I don't know? :)

Return to “Quiz Discussion”