World's Worst Pub Quiz

Anything you like - as long as it's quiz-related!
AbeFroman
Quizzer
Quizzer

Re: World's Worst Pub Quiz

Postby AbeFroman » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:11 pm

In a fairly substantial quiz league about a month ago....

What six letter word beginning with M means exciting and innovative?

Answer: Mundane.

davidmfay
Novice Quizzer
Novice Quizzer

Postby davidmfay » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:37 pm

Many moons ago my quiz team attended a pub quiz in pioneer country where the Quizmaster decided to sort out non-locals and "professionals" by incorporating a whole round of questions about the local parish priest. (What colour is the parish priest's hall door/ What make of car does he drive? etc.) This round certainly stymied us outsiders. Trouble was it also foxed the locals as well and the whole round was effectively a dead rubber. The PP was himself in attendance I believe but even he missed a question about his domestic wallpaper!

Honorary mention goes to a quizmaster in 1986 who asked: "Which horse won this year's Aintree Grand National?" and gave the answer as Aldaniti, tipping Richard Dunwoody's West Tip off the rostrum. It transpired he had compiled the quiz from a quiz book which was several years old. So his answer was one that had been correct - once upon a time. Just not on the night or in the year he asked it ...

hlecter
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby hlecter » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:11 pm

From a Brighton quiz a few years ago-
"Who Played Moses in the 1950`s film The Ten Commandments?" Ans Mickey Mouse.Apparently the quiz setter had taken the question from a quiz book and looked at the wrong page for the answer.
Another quiz master with a warped sense of humour liked trick questions,such as:
Name a sea creature (5,3). Who created Donald Duck? (answers in next post)
From Hollyoaks recently, What nationality is Pope Benedict? Leanne thought he was Jewish!)Just thought I`d mention that in passing.

hlecter
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby hlecter » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:14 pm

Answers to previous post- Sea creature (5,3) Ship`s cat.
Who created Donald Duck? Donald`s mum and dad!

Ambassador
Candidate Master Quizzer
Candidate Master Quizzer

Postby Ambassador » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:47 pm

Not a Pub Quiz, but did anyone else splutter at the BBC2 "Gastronomy Quiz" asking what foodstuff had the formula NaCL (sic)?

MarkRae
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby MarkRae » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:29 am

Several years ago I was at a pub quiz where one of the rounds involved (not very) cryptic clues to band names, e.g. "Easily Crimson" = "Simply Red".

One of the clues was "Microscopic Pussy", to which the QM was expecting the answer "Atomic Kitten" but, after a protest from one team", he grudgingly had to accept the answer "Tight Fit"... :D

Baldassaro
Master Quizzer
Master Quizzer

Postby Baldassaro » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:05 pm

Slightly off topic - I was reminded by AbeFroman's example of the misuse of "mundane" of a magazine column I saw which referred to a proposal as "enervating". The author said that he always welcomed enervating challenges. When I said that I was surprised that he liked things which "tend to deprive of strength or vitality; physically or mentally weakening; debilitating", he admitted that he hadn't been quite sure what the word meant, but thought it sounded good. I think he may have had "invigorating" in mind...

londinius
Novice Quizzer
Novice Quizzer

Postby londinius » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:39 pm

My favourite bad pub quiz question of all time :

Name the largest carnivore in Europe

Answer given : - Notting Hill

audrey
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby audrey » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:21 am

Is there any way we can have a 'like' button on the site?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Any good Aud? Chris

AtoZman

Postby AtoZman » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:21 pm

MarkRae wrote:Several years ago I was at a pub quiz where one of the rounds involved (not very) cryptic clues to band names, e.g. "Easily Crimson" = "Simply Red".

One of the clues was "Microscopic Pussy", to which the QM was expecting the answer "Atomic Kitten" but, after a protest from one team", he grudgingly had to accept the answer "Tight Fit"... :D
This opens up a whole can of worms if Tight fit is accepted - Hows about The Stranglers! My own personal recent favourite was the question setter asking the name of Tom Skerritt's character in the 1979 film Allen! and in another recent quiz we were asked to name the only planet in our solar system with just one solitary moon, and for a bonus point name the moon? - the answer (which I must admit I was tempted to go for) was given as Pluto (which of course is wrong on several counts) but the real hilarity was when the QM remained adamant that "it was obvious I wasn't including the Earth!" Another howler my team-mate received last week "what is the technical name of the bones in the wrist?" - Her answer of Carpus was refused as the QM had Carpals on his sheet with no alternatives!. Fortunately she won a bonus point back when the paired question of ankle bones was answered quite correctly as Tarsals : )

Return to “Quiz Discussion”