Mixed Martial Artists and Ultimate Fighting Championship

Anything you like - as long as it's quiz-related!
grecian
Grand Master Quizzer
Grand Master Quizzer

Re: Mixed Martial Artists and Ultimate Fighting Championship

Postby grecian » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:00 am

Chris, thanks for that. The BBC demarcation is a pretty good attempt between separating what are, and are not, "major sports" for UK purposes. (Personally I'd move rugby league down to the "minor sports" list, and move athletics up.) I think there's a strong case that, in every sports round, setters should aim to set two thirds of questions from the "big seven" and one third from the rest (perhaps focusing particularly on US sports, boxing, horse racing and snooker).

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:51 am

There's a lot to what you say there Grecian. Personally I was surprised to see Horse Racing in the minor list. I'm not a fan (the 'National' is the only race I've ever bet on more than once - and the only other bet I've ever had was a one time bet on the Derby, 30 years ago) but appreciate it gets massive coverage in the newspapers and on TV, thanks in large part to gambling. And let's face it, virtually every high street in Britain has a temple to horse racing in the form of a licensed betting shop.

Other well supported activities which do not appear on either of the BBC's lists include Speedway (at one time, it may still be, one of the biggest live crowd draws in British sport), Greyhound racing (and coursing, etc.) and Drag/Stock Car racing/Rallying.
Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa

DaveBill
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby DaveBill » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:14 pm

As a BIG WWE/MMA fan, i'd happily include as many of these in a sports genre as possible. As mentioned previously, the Rey Mysterio, Andre The Giant, GSP questions would be meat and drink to anyone with basic knowledge of the topics. I wrote the Butterbean/Eric Esch question so i'll hold my hands up if this was too tough..

Bizarrely, WWE is marketed as 'sports entertainment' - their 'wrestlers' aren't allowed to be called that anymore, they're 'superstars'..

I love all sports and regularly do well on the genre and my two-penneth is that WWE/MMA should definitely be included more. With regards to the BBC website, they are geared up for Joe Public UK customers, that's why the sports on the main hot links are as they are. Horse Racing and Athletics should be on the top rank..

I really enjoy Rugby League, but a sport that has an audience of the M62 corridor and the Sydney suburbs shouldn't be given preference over something that has a global reach..

KenOwen
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby KenOwen » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:56 pm

I don't buy the "numbers watching/supporting" argument. If that were the only criterion, ANY sport in China or India would be adjudged the most worthy of inclusion.

Indeed, most American sports, such as baseball (despite their claiming of a "World" series!) and American Football, would, ipso facto, qualify as more worthy of inclusion in a Grand Prix than, say, field hockey or darts or snooker (leaving aside for the moment the question of those last two being "sports"!), simply because the number of Yanks watching or supporting those would outnumber the quantity of Brits watching the others.

All said and done, we attend BRITISH Grands Prix. It might be justifiable to include more questions about the more esoteric sports in an International Quiz. Other than that, the BRITISH Broadcasting Corporation's list gives a much better indicator of what the "home" questions in a Grand Prix should be based on.

Moreover, when a pursuit is followed by people seeking mere entertainment, rather than observing actual prowess, it seems to me that it does not merit categorisation as a sport in the first place. Some of the activities championed here seem to me more akin to the old TV show "Gladiators", where, although physical activity was involved, only the most partisan could have claimed it was in any sense a "sporting contest".

Otherwise, let's include the more dubious areas now often excluded from the Guinness Book of World Records - you know - pushing a pea with your nose over the longest distance, or eating the most oysters in a certain amount of time, or running a marathon backwards. They all involve physical activity and competition, and might well be watched with wonderment - so they ought to be considered "sport" accomplishments, if the rationale mentioned here were displayed consistently.

By all means slip in something more esoteric from time to time - but to suggest that MMA or similar ought to occur in every GP or every other one is crazy. Even if those who are fans of such might welcome it. It is akin to saying that Joni Mitchell (one of, if not my overall, favourite artists) ought to be in every Entertainment set.

No offence intended to those who like that stuff, BTW!

Ken

DanielFullard
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby DanielFullard » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:37 pm

I have been a WWE fan since I was a little boy, back then of course it was known as the WWF with WCW leading the way for several years in the battle for business. I never expect any questions on this to come in a quiz and indeed other than a Hogan and Giant in the photo round a few times, nothing has ever came up in any of the quizzes I have been to.

I tend to agree with the point's made about the WWE in terms of popularity as both a "sport" and a tv show. WWE's flagship show RAW, is the longest running weekly episodic show in American TV history (or something close to that fact), the viewing figures both here and in the states are well above a lot of the more common sports....you would be very surprised I am sure.

Actually, an interview once with the Sky Sports Director I read online stated that because WWE drew in so many viewers, they decided to put in on Sky Sports instead of Sky 1 where it used to have a lot more airing than it does now, to tempt fans to get the Sports package and thus increase revenue.

Wrestlemania does well over a million buys worldwide usually, the company holds several indoor attendance records for events across the states, its stars appear frequently on American chat shows, make movies, tour the world.....

Indeed without a shadow of a doubt place Rey Mysterio next to a picture of say, the most famous cricketer in the world, and Mysterio would be recognised by a lot more people globally.

Because the WWE changes that much and has such a long long history it is hard to revise up on and swot up on which I guess its the point Jesse was making. WWE do have a loot of "History of" DVD's out there but they are pricey and a don't cover enough for my likings.

On tip I would have is use the WWE's website, do some learning on the Wrestlemania events from one until now, theres plenty of pictures and results on there and trying to log a few faces and names from these events will give you a good grounding. Wreseltmania is the WWE's superbowl so its all the main stars on show. I can't think of one major star in WWE history who is worth knowing about that was never at a Wrestlemania.

As for UFC and MMA....well you probably will already be aware UFC is the grandaddy of Mixed Martial Arts. Any questions about MMA surely have to come from UFC as its the one real company that dominates....there are hundreds of minor promotions but non really have the following to be able to worthy of asking questions about.

Again, how to revise it is hard. I only have the knowledge as I watch a couple of the events per year. They have numbered PPV shows and the numbers are getting quite high now so learning all names from results and pictures of these would be hard. There are plenty of videos on youtube etc and loads of news sites but actually getting knowledge of previous fighters is much harder than for WWE.....http://www.ufc.com/fighter/HallOfFame is very basic, http://www.ufc.com/fighter will tell you the roster of current fighters which has a few veterans on it.

DanielFullard
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby DanielFullard » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:44 pm

ll said and done, we attend BRITISH Grands Prix. It might be justifiable to include more questions about the more esoteric sports in an International Quiz. Other than that, the BRITISH Broadcasting Corporation's list gives a much better indicator of what the "home" questions in a Grand Prix should be based on.

But then again, how we judge what sports deserve attention in the quiz? Because I know you have said you don't buy viewing figures but at the end of the day, and I wish I could find it now, WWE only lags behind premier league football in terms of total viewing figures for Sky Sports. WWE is huge in this country, and much bigger than a lot of the sports that most consider acceptable for questions. Every time the WWE comes here for tours which it does 2-3 times a year it sells out arenas from the north to the south, its DVD's are big sellers, its merchandise is sold in all major UK chain stores (HMV etc) and it far outgrosses Boxing PPV sales on an annual basis.

There is no denying that WWE in this country is and always has been very popular but because its not "cool", mainstream or respected (which is another argument altogether) it is considered "bad" for using as question material at regular occasions?

falcon
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby falcon » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:36 pm

I can see a case for WWE being included in the Entertainment section.It is certainly
not a sport as you cannot place a bet on it with a bookmaker because the result is fixed
beforehand.

Baboonery
Grand Master Quizzer
Grand Master Quizzer

Postby Baboonery » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:50 pm

Sorry, missed out on this. False equivalence here.

MMA is an entirely legitimate thing to be asking about in a Sport and Games genre. It's not my personal bag of Quavers, but I know a few of the names, recognised George St Pierre from the Sports Center commercials on ESPN America, etc, etc. I don't think it's something that should be asked about every month, but the odd one (and GSP is pretty much the biggest name, so far as I can see) can't be a problem. I thought that was a very good GP question.

WWE, on the other hand, is neither a sport nor a game, and should not be in the Sport and Games genre. It is an abomination to all decent people, and I quietly pity those who enjoy it, though neither of those things is enough to stop endless questions about one series of children's books, so I don't see why it should stop questions about WWE. But they should be in Entertainment, where they can take the place of the classical music questions that don't belong there (see threads passim).

(Oh, and Rugby League has to be next to Rugby Union, or its more passionate devotees would cry, and spout urban myths about a lad breaking his neck and the Union club next door not letting them use their phone, it's true, I read about it in the local paper, etc.)

noox
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby noox » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:33 pm

Like! :)

DanielFullard
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby DanielFullard » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:15 am

It is an abomination to all decent people, and I quietly pity those who enjoy it,

Amusing......Would love to here an expansion on this?

Return to “Quiz Discussion”