Help for a quiz

Anything you like - as long as it's quiz-related!
EMon
Quizzer
Quizzer

Help for a quiz

Postby EMon » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:23 pm

Hi all,

I think I've mentioned before on here, but our school competes in the UK Schools' Challenge, it's a buzzer quiz very similar to University Challenge and is the reason I've got so into quizzes. Last year we were beaten in the semi-finals and we've made it to the national finals again and this year I think we have a very good chance of winning it.
The reason I'm posting this is I'd like tips on how to win. What's the best way to approach buzzer quizzes? I'm sure many of you have participated in various buzzer quizzes in the past. It seems to be that, as much as you need to know the stuff, speed on the buzzer seems to be more important.

Thanks in advance,

Eoin.

grecian
Grand Master Quizzer
Grand Master Quizzer

Re: Help for a quiz

Postby grecian » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:53 pm

Technique is undoubtedly important in buzzer quiz, but I think the basic requirement is having a decent amount of knowledge. If you don't know many of the facts you'll be struggling to get (m)any buzzes no matter how good your technique is, and you won't be able to help on bonus sets either.

I think the key technique is to be able to judge the moment when your vague idea of the answer becomes certain enough to enable you to judge when to buzz. I don't think there's any hard and fast rule for how to do that, sadly - I think you've just got to pick up a feel over time for when there have been enough confirming instances to render your hypothetical answer probable. And whether or not it's appropriate to buzz will also depend on lots of other factors.

All of which is why I'd say that - as a relative newcomer to the game by the sound of it - you focus on knowledge. Good luck!

EMon
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby EMon » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:37 pm

Thank you Grecian.

We flew over very early yesterday. We lost our first game to a team with 1 very speedy player. We won our close second game and then in the Plate final we lost by a mere 20. It literally went to the last bonus, had they have got it wrong we would have got it right and a draw would have been. 5 minutes additional time would have been played. Annoying.

Still, it was again very enjoyable and I look forward to next year. Although, we are losing two players this year who are brilliant with History and Music, how do I improve both?

dxdtdemon
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby dxdtdemon » Thu May 03, 2012 5:43 am

One trick that American (and presumably, British) buzzerquizers use to learn things that come up in quizzes is to write down the answers to questions that they don't know when they practice old questions, and then look up the answer on Wikipedia or some other encyclopedia. Some feel that even writing a question on that topic will help them retain that knowledge better.

grecian
Grand Master Quizzer
Grand Master Quizzer

Postby grecian » Thu May 03, 2012 5:04 pm

Bad luck Eoin - sounds a close-run thing.

I would just focus on your own learning and not try to ape your departing team-mates too much - everyone brings different specialities to the table. But on history it could be worth (for British history certainly) seeking out something like Bamber Gascoigne's 'Encyclopaedia of Britain'. On music I'd recommend finding a recent edition of 'British Hit Singles' and maybe every so often downloading some bigger hits on something like Spotify to listen to - I've found that helpful.

Incidentally does anyone know any good internet pop music/charts references since everyhit stopped being updated?

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Thu May 03, 2012 6:30 pm

Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa

EMon
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby EMon » Fri May 04, 2012 5:07 pm

Thank you again Grecian and to Chris too.

Return to “Quiz Discussion”