Gameshow.co.uk

Anything you like - as long as it's quiz-related!
misterig
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Gameshow.co.uk

Postby misterig » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:09 pm

Does anybody have a view on how genuine this site is? It ran a quiz with money prizes that came to an end last night; punters could play as many times as they wanted until the deadline, at 33p. a shot payable by credit card. If you won anything you were asked for your address and promised a cheque within three days. Since last night the website has gone blank, apart from the words 'Game Show', and I now have an e-mail from the site owner asking for my bank a/c details.

Is this kosher? Am I being paranoid?

didb72
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Re: Gameshow.co.uk

Postby didb72 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:43 pm

If someone emails me asking for my bank details, I will tell him to f******* or more politely ignore the email.
It looks like a scam. I played three games, finished 55th and I have not received any emails.

DanielFullard
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby DanielFullard » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:01 pm

I was told I won a prize too, they asked for my address for the cheque but have not asked for bank details yet,

We shall see but I am not expecting a prize

petewins57
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby petewins57 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:30 pm

Well, if you think a website is suspect, you can always look at the WHOIS info as a starter. For this one it is...

Domain name:
gameshow.co.uk

Registrant:
Game Show Ltd.

Registrant type:
UK Limited Company, (Company number: 7791884)

Registrant's address:
First Floor, New Zealand House, 80 Haymarket
London
SW1Y 4TE
United Kingdom

Registrar:
Webfusion Ltd t/a 123-reg [Tag = 123-REG]
URL: http://www.123-reg.co.uk

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 15-May-2005
Expiry date: 15-May-2013
Last updated: 04-Jan-2012

Registration status:
Registered until expiry date.

Name servers:
ns.123-reg.co.uk
ns2.123-reg.co.uk

WHOIS lookup made at 12:38:41 25-Jun-2012

...which all looks OK at an initial glance, but time will tell. At least this info gives a few starting points for further investigation, should it be required. :geek:
Pete
Head of Qulaity Control

DianeH
Candidate Master Quizzer
Candidate Master Quizzer

Postby DianeH » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:19 pm

didb72 wrote:If someone emails me asking for my bank details, I will tell him to f******* or more politely ignore the email.

I find that really odd. I always find that the easiest and quickest way for someone to pay me is to give them my bank details. In fact, the company I work for gives its bank details out to people every day so they can be paid. I frequently ask people to give me their bank details and pay them directly into their account, especially now that faster payments are the norm. If having your sort code and account number meant that people could take money out of your account I doubt that banks would print these details on every cheque you issue.

misterig
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby misterig » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:07 pm

That's fair comment, but what put me on my guard was how clumsily it was handled. Not much more than twelve hours before the guy who runs the site (who doesn't appear to be completely bone-headed, if you believe what you read elsewhere on the Net) was saying that winners would be getting cheques. Why the change? He'd have known for some time how many winners he was going to have and how many cheques he would have to write out, so it can't have been for the sake of his poor little wrist, or the cost of ball-point pens.

didb72
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby didb72 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:31 pm

If they want to pay someone, they just need your postal address and send you a cheque. You should never give your bank details to a person who sends you an email. You have no ideas how cunning the fraudsters are, with your account number and a sort code they could create a fake debit card.

DianeH
Candidate Master Quizzer
Candidate Master Quizzer

Postby DianeH » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:07 pm

Er, no they couldn't. A debit card has 16 characters, a bank account number has 8. You can't just make up a debit card number - that's partly why they're 16 digits long.

I actually do know how cunning fraudsters can be - I worked for a bank for 2 years. But there's a huge amount of paranoia about letting people have your bank details and the fact is there's very little that can be done with a bank account and sort code. As I said, if it was dangerous banks wouldn't have printed these details on every cheque that anyone has ever written!

worldwidemark
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby worldwidemark » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:47 am

Yeah I have my doubts as to whether any winnings will be forthcoming...

I didn't receive any e-mail asking for my bank account details though. I did spot on the site there was a line at the bottom of the main page saying that the site was a "10 day experiment" so maybe it is some exercise to see how easy it is to get peoples contact details?

I don't have Diane's confidence that with someones back details, address, phone number etc that it wouldn't be relatively easy to engage in some fraudulent activity - lets just hope that this is an experiment rather than attempted fraud.

BTW Jeremy Clarkson famously published his bank details in the paper with very similar thoughts to those Diane has. He was proved wrong - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7174760.stm

DianeH
Candidate Master Quizzer
Candidate Master Quizzer

Postby DianeH » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:58 pm

Yes, I was aware of the Jeremy Clarkson thing before I posted my reply and wondered if anybody would quote that.
But as far as I can remember (I'm just about to go out to a quiz and haven't time to read the article), somebody set up a direct debit on Clarkson's account - I believe it was to a charity - which under the DD rules he would be able to claim back. So yes, technically it's possible to set up a DD on an account that you have the sort code and account number of - but the bank account holder can claim it back and unless the perpetrator was using it to pay himself - in which case it would be traceable (or if he paid his own gas bill, telephone bill etc when it would also be obvious who the perpetrator was.) So what would be the point?
You certainly can't use bank details to manufacture a debit card and you can't simply take cash out of someone's account using sort code and account number - unless you also have their online password/security details.
Though none of this, of course, means that the online quiz referred to is genuine - like everyone else I have no idea. If the person behind it is who he says he is, it doesn't seem likely to be a fraud, but obviously the '10 day experiment' could mean anything.

Return to “Quiz Discussion”