Scotland

Anything you like - as long as it's quiz-related!
bpendreigh
Quizzer
Quizzer

Scotland

Postby bpendreigh » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:20 am

There is a proposal to set up a Scottish committee to oversee and organise events such as the Max Thomson Cup, the team championship which took place for the first time earlier this year. There are now a number of events take place in Scotland or involve Scottish quizzers which are a step up from pub quizzes, including participation in the International Quizzing Assocation's monthly Hot 100 solo quiz. Could anyone who is interested in being involved in discussions about the new committee or simply wants details of such events, please get in touch. We would especially like to hear from quizzers in the West of Scotland. According to Peter Ross in Scotland on Sunday: "Edinburgh, according to seasoned observers of the scene, is home to a much higher standard of quizzer than Glasgow." Time to set things right.
Last edited by bpendreigh on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

bpendreigh
Quizzer
Quizzer

Re: Scotland

Postby bpendreigh » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:23 am

I should add that this new committee is in no way a breakaway from the British Quizzing Assocation or the established English Grand Prix circuit. It will be complementary. There is no intention of setting up a Scottish Grand Prix circuit and I would strongly encourage people in Scotland to try to make it down to one of the English venues to sample the Grand Prix quizzes and social scene.

bpendreigh
Quizzer
Quizzer

Re: Scotland

Postby bpendreigh » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:02 pm

Following soundings and consultations, the following committee has been established to help organise and formulate events in Scotland - Rob Hannah, Roderick Cromar, Ewan McNaught, David Murphy and Brian Pendreigh.

The committee may be involved in the future organisation of the Max Thomson Cup (the Scottish team championship), the Jim Brunton Shield (v Tyne & Wear), possible new events and also the arrangement of Scottish venues for British Quiz Association and/or International Quizzing Association quizzes.

Scotland's main involvement with the IQA is the monthly Hot 100. It has been decided that we will use the Salisbury Arms (opposite the Commonwealth Pool in Edinburgh) as a regular venue for it. It will be once a month, on a Tuesday. The next one is 6.45 pm (sharp), January 8. It will be followed by the excellent regular pub quiz at 8 pm.

There are more details about the Hot 100 as such at www.worldquizrankings.com. Everyone is welcome, but please do message me in advance so we know how many sets of questions to print. Don't worry if you are coming as an individual, we can sort you into a team for the pub quiz afterwards.

Please feel free to share this message, spread the word and get more people involved.

bpendreigh
Quizzer
Quizzer

Scotland - Hot 100

Postby bpendreigh » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:57 am

The Hot 100 solo quiz is now taking place once a month in Edinburgh at the Salisbury Arms, opposite the Commonwealth Pool. The next one is next Tuesday, January 29, 6.45 start. Everyone is very welcome, but please message me first, so we know how many question sets to have printed. Mark Gaffney is organising this one, but if you message me I can forward details. (It is best if you can message me through Facebook as I will get it quicker.) The Hot 100 is followed by the regular pub quiz at 8 pm.

Return to “Quiz Discussion”