BQC Feedback

Anything you like - as long as it's quiz-related!
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

BQC Feedback

Postby Chris » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:28 pm

Interested to see some of the feedback on Saturday's BQC Individual paper. There's much talk of a 'huge', or at least very significant number of Irish questions. An admittedly quick scoot through the papers throws up something in the region of 40 questions with a distinct mention of Ireland in one form or another.

Of these perhaps a significant number relate to Northern Ireland (still part of the UK the last time I looked) or concern some incident/interaction involving people of both islands - e.g. the English name for Dublin's main port, etc..

Another third are questions with merely an 'Irish veneer' as I'd describe it. By this I mean a question about, for example, a celebrity TV chef who is regularly on mainstream UK TV, whose books sell well here, and (in her case) mention was made of her Irish connection as a clue - "...ah, the one with the soft Irish lilt in her voice" etc.

Finally there were a good 15-20 questions solidly about 'Ireland'. But then a good number of those related to the period when Ireland was de facto part of 'Britain', or at least under English rule. That's surely permitted?

This country (England at least) has had a close connection with Ireland for at least a thousand years. And I know I am in good company with probably millions of 'English' people who have recent Irish family connections (three great grandparents AFAIK). It's a valid area to ask questions about. If Scotland votes for Independence next year the BQC will still continue featuring questions with a Scots connection.

Just for the record, I also counted 15 questions with a strong Scots link, plus some Scots veneered questions besides. Likewise a similar number of questions associated with Wales. And I'd hazard that some of those Scots/Welsh questions were among the least well answered questions in the quiz.

Nevertheless, all feedback avidly consumed and stored in the memory bank for when future sets are prepared. Thanks all, and feel free to disagree. Looking forward to your comments!
Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BQC Feedback / Pairs competition

Postby Chris » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:06 am

I've had a chance to go through all the answer sheets from the Pair event - all but the preliminary round, where just a scores 'tear-off' portion was handed in. I include an image of the scores/KO history here also.

Note: Pair numbers in purple = semi-finalists, names in blue = 'scratch' Pairs.

While there were three of 60 questions in the main part of the quiz that eluded a correct answer from anyone, perhaps surprisingly there were no 'solos' (the other 57 questions were answered by two or more pairs each) and the only round in which every question was answered correctly was the final one - although there was some, ahem, generous marking on the question in which Pairs were asked to provide a translation of 'Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij' (KLM), in particular the word "Luchtvaart". No matter.

The three questions that went begging were...

Rd1, Q7: "Which world music-oriented record label, founded by David Byrne in 1988, owes its two word name to the inner packaging of a branded specialty ‘Pure Ceylon’ tea employing Broken Orange Pekoe leaf?"

I should say hard luck here to Dave Lea & Kathryn Johnson and Kevin Ashman & Pat Gibson, both pairs getting the second part of the answer correct. And both Pairs had very similar answers to the first bit as well. GMTA.

Qtr, Q11: "The National Archive alphabetically lists every recipient of the Victoria Cross. In the papers covering World War 1, among the surnames with the initial letter D, who appears immediately below Lieutenant Frank Alexander de Pass (1887-1914)? :D "

Some interesting answers here. A number of Pairs put "De Pass", thinking double winners might be listed twice. And two pairs answered (Charles) De Gaulle. Nice idea but I don't think these guys should be allowed to work in any library where books are arranged alphabetically by author or title. ;)

Semi, Q10: "A small river that rises on the north flanks of the sandstone hills of Monts Cassell and de Récollets in northern France, it flows in an arc through West Flanders province (Belgium), and into the North Sea below Nieuwpoort. When the Germans invaded in 1914, the Belgian army retreated behind (and after 15 days of fierce fighting held) the line of which river, continuing to do so until 1918?"

Yet more interesting answers to this one,which evidently completely foxed people, not least those who either did not read carefully or believe the Meuse to be a "small river" ;)

Anyway, it's easy for me to poke fun. There were some tough questions in the quiz and well done to the field for getting almost all of them, and in spades; I'd expected a number of 'solos' but, as explained, every nailed question was answered correctly by at least 2 Pairs.

For the record, the answers to the three questions reproduced here were...

Rd1, Q7: "Luaka BOP". 'Luaka' being the name of the Sri Lankan tea brand and B.O.P. being the industry standard abbreviation of 'Broken Orange Pekoe'.

Qtr, Q11: "Edmund DE WIND" '(De) Pass De Wind', geddit?

Semi, Q10: "YSER or IJZER"

And the Meuse, joins the Waal (arm of the Rhine), i.e. does not flow directly into the sea.
Chris Jones

grecian
Grand Master Quizzer
Grand Master Quizzer

Re: BQC Feedback

Postby grecian » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:54 pm

This suggests you expect too much of people's military history knowledge Chris! This isn't surprising given it's your own area of expertise, of course.

I have read about Luaka Bop many times and really should have got it but I couldn't bring it to mind. Had I had an hour to muse on it (e.g. in a GP) I might have got it.

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BQC Feedback

Postby Chris » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:50 pm

Hi David,

My surprise was not people failing to get the name of the correct river, so much as the rivers which some suggested as the possible answer. I should've thought people would know the Meuse is a major river (rather than a small one). But as I already acknowledged, it's all too easy to pass smart comments on other people's answers after the event.
Chris Jones

Return to “Quiz Discussion”