Can anyone Help?

Anything you like - as long as it's quiz-related!
silverfox58
Quizzer
Quizzer

Can anyone Help?

Postby silverfox58 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:29 pm

I have been an avid quizzer for many years and have at last plucked up the courage to want to enter a quiz league.

Unfortunately I have had no luck to date and wonder if one of my fellow forumites can point me in the right direction.

I live in the Maidstone, Kent area and if anyone out there knows of a team in the area looking for a novice player, any help or advise gratefully received :)

narkyiain
Quizzer
Quizzer

Re: Can anyone Help?

Postby narkyiain » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:40 pm

Can I piggyback your request with a similar one of my own?
silverfox58 wrote:I have been an avid quizzer for many years and have at last plucked up the courage to want to enter a quiz league.

Unfortunately I have had no luck to date and wonder if one of my fellow forumites can point me in the right direction.

I live in the Maidstone, Kent area and if anyone out there knows of a team in the area looking for a novice player, any help or advise gratefully received :)

Can I piggyback your request with a similar one of my own? Changing Maidstone to between Basildon and Chelmsford in Essex.

grecian
Grand Master Quizzer
Grand Master Quizzer

Postby grecian » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:05 pm

If either of you is prepared to journey into London on Tuesday nights, the Quiz League of London might be the thing.

Matches take place at 8pm at a variety of pubs, mostly fairly centrally in London (there are a couple of outliers in SW London). The league has three divisions which cater for all ability levels, and the league will be able to place you with a team if you so wish - I imagine there might be some teams that could give you fairly regular games if you wanted. See http://www.quizleagueoflondon.co.uk/join/default.aspx for an online form.

Alternatively, if you have a ready formed quiz team, you could enter for the 2012-13 season, which will begin in September 2012.

silverfox58
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby silverfox58 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:20 pm

Thanks Grecian, unfortunately work makes it difficult for me to travel to London in the evenings on a regular basis but I appreciate the time you have taken to reply. :)

narkyiain
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby narkyiain » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:26 pm

Thanks for the thought Grecian, but at the moment that's not a goer for me either. Looking at some of the questions online I reckon a more local league might be more my level anyway.

grecian
Grand Master Quizzer
Grand Master Quizzer

Postby grecian » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:35 am

No problem chaps; I appreciate a long trek into town isn't possible for everyone - good luck in finding a local league if there is one.

As to question difficulty, the QLL website currently only shows "friendly" sets written by its constituent teams, and not the actual competitive sets which are written by a third party. At the moment, the friendly sets are actually somewhat tougher (and in some cases considerably tougher) than the average competitive set.

The QLL committee are aware that tough friendly sets are not ideal and are making every effort to rectify that situation. Our aim is that friendly sets (as with competitive sets) should be approachable and enjoyable for all levels of player from people like Kevin Ashman down to very new or inexperienced quizzers.

HughL
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby HughL » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:12 pm

Strange how some very small towns run well attended quix leagues and wide areas don't have any.

Don't suppose anyone knows of any leagues around North Yorks or Humberside?

Moodymark
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby Moodymark » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:53 pm

HughL wrote:Strange how some very small towns run well attended quix leagues and wide areas don't have any.

Don't suppose anyone knows of any leagues around North Yorks or Humberside?

The only Quiz League i'm aware of in your area is the Scunthorpe Quiz league not sure if that's local as such to you, the link is -

http://www.pubquizreference.co.uk/teleg ... latest.htm

HughL
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby HughL » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:14 pm

Thanks for that- and I know there is also one in Grimsby.

So the South Bank is ok but there doesn't seem to be anything from Hull up to Middlesbrough- which is where I want something!

johnwilson
Candidate Master Quizzer
Candidate Master Quizzer

Postby johnwilson » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:00 am

There certainly used to be a league in York, but only for CIU affiliated clubs.

There's the Five Towns League in the Castleford/Pontefract/Wakefield area

Return to “Quiz Discussion”