Jackpot Questions

Anything you like - as long as it's quiz-related!
DanielFullard
Quizzer
Quizzer

Jackpot Questions

Postby DanielFullard » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:16 am

Most of the quizzes I attend, and I am sure fellow quizzers are in a similar position, end the night with a jackpot question with the chance to win a cash pot, a roll over cash pot if you are lucky or another special prize.

I thought it might be a fun idea to have a thread where we can post the jackpot questions we have faced at local pub quizzes and test other.

One of my favourites is at the Moorcock Pub in Peterlee as he gives a question, usually worth between £40-£60, where the answer is a number or a date. The closest one wins so there is a winner every week.

Either post the questions with the answers further down or let people have a go and we can build a nice little thread with jackpot questions.

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Jackpot Questions

Postby Chris » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:59 am

One a lady was asked last night in the Rolleston Club*: "At which Olympics did Sir Steve Redgrave win the first of his five Gold Medals" ("medium question", she answered incorrectly)

* They sell raffle tickets, the 'winner' gets to chose one of three envelopes, containing an 'easy', 'medium', or 'hard' question, the money on offer increasing - last night it was £30, £40 & £70 respectively
Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa

Sequin
Master Quizzer
Master Quizzer

Postby Sequin » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:52 pm

I used to set a quiz with a jackpot question for my local about 10 years ago.

It was 50p to enter (buy a raffle ticket), and the person picked had to answer a fairly hard question to win the jackpot. If they didn't get it right they got a £10 consolation prize, and the jackpot went up by £10 for the following week.

If it got up to £200, I ran a competition to use up half of it, playing for £100. The first person picked out got a question and four possible answers (like WWTBAM). If they got it wrong, they got £10 and another person was picked to play for the remaining money. This went on until somebody answered correctly, winning the remainder, or the £100 was used up for consolation prizes. The remaining £100 rolled over to the following week.

I still have all of my questions somewhere, so I'll hunt out the jackpot questions
===============================
Transvestites - Roberts in Disguise!
===============================

DanielFullard
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby DanielFullard » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:25 pm

My friend ran similar scheme in a city centre pub. But what he tended to find was that if the jackpot reached say £250 which it did regularly, "outsiders" would come in, win the jackpot and annoy the people who had been putting into it for weeks on it. Thats when he changed it to make the answer a number or date so it was won every week

Bennybiel
Novice Quizzer
Novice Quizzer

Postby Bennybiel » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:07 pm

I used to do something similar in the quiz I used to run. One toughish question until the jackpot went to to £100 then 3 of varying difficulties and if it got over £200 I'd go armed with 20 or so questions and decrease the winnings by £10 after each wrong answer until someone walked away with a decent amount.
When the seagulls follow the trawler

DanielFullard
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby DanielFullard » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Okay guys this one was for £65 in my local last week...

England recent scored their 2000th international goal (Football of course). But how many were own goals?

In the quiz you would pay 50p per guess and nearest wins.....try it without researching. You would need to have been one off to share the win as the winner was only one goal too high

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:40 pm

Chris Jones

DanielFullard
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby DanielFullard » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:05 pm

Ill put answer below...................

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:32 pm

Hah, isn't it always!
Chris Jones

DanielFullard
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby DanielFullard » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:52 pm

Another was how many episodes of Stars in their Eyes were ever made?

Return to “Quiz Discussion”