What the Dickens

Anything you like - as long as it's quiz-related!
londinius
Novice Quizzer
Novice Quizzer

Re: What the Dickens

Postby londinius » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:26 pm

Don't misunderstand me - I do actually love Dickens, and have read all the novels for pleasure.

However : -

for most of the things you'll ever need to know for quizzes, just learn which main character is in which book from Trevor's book. That will cover a multitude of sins.

DanielFullard
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby DanielFullard » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:18 am

I use a mixture of all three...... synopsis (such as the A-Z of everything), TV adaptations and reading the books. I do find watching the adaptations tends to work best for me (Little Dorrit currently showing on BBC HD) as not only do I enjoy these period type dramas but have quite a DVD collection of them

Baldassaro
Master Quizzer
Master Quizzer

Postby Baldassaro » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:12 pm

I enjoyed Our Mutual Friend more than I expected when I read it a couple of years ago (although being ill in bed at the time probably helped to concentrate my mind). A collection of his journalism - The Uncommercial Traveller - was also enjoyable, because you could easily read it a couple of articles at a time. Otherwise, I read Great Expectations, Hard Times and some of David Copperfield at university ages ago. If I just wanted to bone up on key plot points etc, I'd probably use wikipedia, although I do try not to do that kind of thing...

DaveChallender
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby DaveChallender » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:22 pm

One thing to bear in mind is there is a lot of Dickens to read, and so if you want to know Dickens for quizzing purposes (rather than reading them for the sake of reading) then a lot of reading effort will be involved.

I'm not one of those people who reads book summaries for quizzing, but a lot of people do .. and very successfully - its a very easy way to get key quiz level data compared to reading books.

As an example I am currently reading the Canterbury tales (in its original "English" - which makes it a not very easy read as chunks of reading time is spent in archaic language lookup) .. but at the end of it I doubt I will do any better on quiz questions relating to it than someone who has read a precis on wikipedia ... I personally find that after reading a book I soon forget a lot of the detail - (e.g. I already could not confidently give the names of the main charcters in the Knights Tale that I read as recently as Boxing Day! ) though I read for pure enjoyment and do not consciously commit "key" data to memory when reading a book e.g. a few weeks ago in our local quiz league I could not remember the name of a character in a book I had read within the last couple of years, and going back to Dickens, in the UK event at Rolleston there was a Dickens question, I could remember which book I had read that description in, but not which character it referred to (and inevitably picked the wrong one).

..But if you're the sort of person who can read book for pleasure AND remember key quiz data, then go for the reading option as it's a lot more fun than just learning random facts about books!

Return to “Quiz Discussion”