Google Proof Quiz....Interesting article

Anything you like - as long as it's quiz-related!
DanielFullard
Quizzer
Quizzer

Google Proof Quiz....Interesting article

Postby DanielFullard » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:49 pm

Interesting reading here...

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchesterevening ... one-cheats

Not meaning to start the whole phone-cheating debate again

I was interested in one quote from the quizmaster...."At first you used to get people sneaking Collins Encyclopaedias into the pub.".....Really? Did this happen? I have been going to quizzes only in the post-mobile phone world so Id be interested in stories on this.

It sounds like the guy hasnt really come up with an "ungoogleable" general knowledge quiz, but rather changed the quiz entirely to something different.

Thoughts?

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Google Proof Quiz....Interesting article

Postby Chris » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:45 pm

Yes, I know of people who've been banned from pub quizzes for consulting reference works (either in the loo, or popping out to their car). I could name names, but what's the point? Nobody who knows the individual(s) would be surprised.

And I agree re your second point. It's largely a re-invention rather than making an existing format Google-proof. One of the big problems with the latter is 90% of your standard pub audience _needs_ the questions to be straightforward and conventional or they're lost. If you try and be too clever to beat the cheats you lose your audience, sadly.

Channelling Jezzer for a moment; the sooner folk start punching each others lights out - as they would if someone cheated at pool or darts - the better. :lol:
Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa

Courtjester
Quizzer
Quizzer

Re: Google Proof Quiz....Interesting article

Postby Courtjester » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:57 pm

I agree with all that has been said but in life there will always be those who find a way to cheat. You have to steel yourself and expose them if you see it happening. The rest of the contestants will soon vent their spleens at them.

Return to “Quiz Discussion”