Advice please, am new to this!

Anything you like - as long as it's quiz-related!
scarletsgran

Advice please, am new to this!

Postby scarletsgran » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:05 pm

I have recently taken over running a quiz at our local bar, being winter there are fewer teams participating and invariably the same team keep winning. Can anyone offer some useful tips on how find their weaknesses so that the rest of the participants don't get too fed up ?!!! :)

Sequin
Master Quizzer
Master Quizzer

Re: Advice please, am new to this!

Postby Sequin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:58 pm

Too many qm's make the mistake of trying to set a harder quiz to stop a good team winning - this is much more likely to lead to them winning even more often! Instead of trying to target their weaknesses, target the other team's strengths.

If they are a young team and you have teams made up of older players, ask questions on 60's tv and music, if older, ask about stuff in the charts now etc
===============================
Transvestites - Roberts in Disguise!
===============================

DanielFullard
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby DanielFullard » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:38 am

Introduce rounds that maybe give everyone a chance.....Ive seen it happen before and here are some of my tips.

Do you do a picture round? Sometimes, even though you may not like it, this helps balance things out as even the best quizzers sometimes struggle with pictures.

What about a music round? Playing songs for 10 seconds and asking for title and artist? It worked in a local I go to and got the scores much closer.

What about a themed round where there are say 10 questions on a theme....My sunday quiz does this and it always gives everybody a chance. Good ones the past have been things like TV Adverts (Slogans, characters etc). Then if your frequent winners do not know a great deal about that theme it narrows your gap and opens the field.

Like Sequin said do not make it harder as this will only serve to a) put people off and b) have your winners win by even more!

If you want to send me a sample quiz you have been I could make some suggestions?

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:34 pm

I absolutely endorse what Sequin says. An easy quiz is a much better leveller than a hard one; and even if the weaker teams don't win, they at least feel like they've gotten closer to the stronger ones!

So, however, here's some things which even good teams can be surprisingly weak on at times...

Flowers/plants/gardening questions [none of which ought to be called obscure, since maybe 80% and more of the population live in a home with a garden of some sort]

Lifestyle questions - you know, the sort of things you'd read about in a glossy magazine or home encyclopaedia, or learn by living with your eyes and mind open. Everyday topics and knowledge [including fashion, furnishings, health and fitness, brands, hobbies and crafts, laws and byelaws, weights and measures, food and drink, cookery, child rearing, etc. etc. etc.] which some people think they are _too clever_ to want to learn about.

Breaking news.

Children's TV (especially contemporary stuff).
Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa

DanielFullard
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby DanielFullard » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:16 pm

Chris wrote:Breaking news.

Children's TV (especially contemporary stuff).

Great point actually :D

I still find this hard to believe but one team of quizzers at one of my locals used to get 100% or close to week in week out.

One night they won the quiz with 98% and the one question they got wrong............What follows Spongebob to give the name of a childrens TV characters?

And funnily enough last week a couple on Cash cab got the same question wrong (followed by not knowing which film the line "Frankly my dear, I dont give a damn" comes from and also answering Arsenal to a question about World Cup National Teams)

scarletsgran

Postby scarletsgran » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:38 pm

Thanks for all your helpful input, I really appreciate it. Its a tricky one I know. I have tried to make the questions easier so that everyone feels valued, and I do a picture round and a music round too. I don't want anyone to go away and not have had a fun evening so I have tried to introduce some different rounds too to get away from the history, geography etc that some people struggle with - for instance I did Doctors and Nurses, Tooty Fruity and Famous Willies!!!! My difficulty is that we are based in Crete and some of them have been here for years, and I guess that most people are over 50!!!
Anyway, I am so glad you didn't shoot my down in flames, :)

Return to “Quiz Discussion”