Eggheads on Brain of Britain

Here you will find archived news items that, while no longer current, are nevertheless interesting enough to preserve for later perusal and reference.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Eggheads on Brain of Britain

Postby Chris » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:17 pm

Grand Prix regular and Scotland international quizzer Barry Simmons is well known from his appearances on BBC TV's Eggheads. This fact has upset some radio listeners who've taken exception to his appearing on BBC Radio 4's Brain of Britain. The BBC News website reports on the issue and explains why the BBC defends his right to appear in the contest. See here. The issue was earlier the subject of a call on Radio 4's 'Feedback' show last week, and has featured on Twitter and in the Daily Telegraph.

For the record the gnomes in Quizzing Towers approve of his appearance and don't have a problem, so long as the BBC are consistent on this - i.e. they'd allow a 'Chaser' such as Paul Sinha to appear on Brian, were he to apply. That said, we note that Chris Hughes appeared on and won Brian while he was an Egghead (and fellow Egghead Kevin was still involved in the question setting), and Shaun from The Chase (as well as Egghead Pat) were allowed to compete in the BBC Mastermind Champion of Champions series.

We don't have a problem with any of that. Surely Brian and MM Champs are about finding the best. Bring 'em on!

Post Script

David Buckle, one of the contenders defeated by Barry Simmons in the semi final of the competition has said on Facebook: "... As someone who was beaten by (Barry) in the semi, I have to say I don't see what the fuss is all about. Good luck to you, Barry." To which we say, 'Well said David. What a shame the Telegraph didn't ask you for your opinion.' But then, one wonders, would they have had the honesty to print that response?!

Another competitor in this year's series, Dave Tilley commented: "...When I heard Barry was taking part in BoB this year, my thought was that I'm going to have to be at the top of my game to beat him if I get to play against him, not that he makes his living from quizzing."
Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa

Return to “Quiz News Archive”