Mahaquizzer 2017

Information on all of the British and international quiz circuit events for this year.

All of our events are open. You can just come along and join in. We're a friendly bunch and our quizzes are very well-attended. Each event will have its own forum as the event approaches, so just watch out for details.

2017/18 Season

6 January - Coventry and Edinburgh
3 February - Local venues
3 March - Northampton and Edinburgh
7 April - Local venues
5 May - Local venues
2 June - World Quizzing Championships (Edinburgh, Harpenden, Manchester and possibly Wales)
7 July - Local venues
4 August - Local venues

2018/19 Season

1 September - British Quizzing Championships (Coventry and Edinburgh)
6 October - Local venues
TBC November - Local venues
1 December - Local venues
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mahaquizzer 2017

Postby Chris » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:09 pm

A week tomorrow, Sunday 10 December is the KQA's Mahaquizzer, which we in England have taken part in since the year dot (well, about 2006 or thereabouts). I have found us a nice venue not far from the centre of Burton on Trent if anyone fancies joining me. There will be a modest fee levied to participate - £1 to cover printing, and whetever it costs for room hire etc. (am hoping to get it for nowt, will keep you informed).

Do let me know if you're interested in attending, it'll be a circa 12.10 start as the pub does not ope until noon. The pub also does nice food - albeit choice on a Sunday is Sunday Roast or, er, Sunday Roast.

RSVP ASAP

Chris

Venue is the Wyggeston Arms.
Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mahaquizzer 2017

Postby Chris » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:05 pm

Just a reminder that the venue for Sunday 10 December (arrive noon for a 12.10 start) is the Wyggeston Pub - commonly called the "Wiggy". The address is 123 Calais Rd, Burton-on-Trent, DE13 0UN.

If coming by car, there is a car park behind the pub, accessed from Calais Rd via a gateway to the right of the pub (as viewed face on from across the road). This gateway, adjacent to the single storey section of the pub is a not easy to see sometimes, due to parked cars. So slow down on approaching the pub (from whatever direction along Calais Rd.). If you’re coming by rail, I might be able to pick-you up at the station if your train is not arriving until shortly before noon.

We will be using the small function room at the rear of the pub's ground floor (called the Belvedere Room IIRC). The best way of finding the room is to come into the main part of the pub, the part with two stories rather than the single storey part, and find the main lounge bar (i.e. not the one with the pool table and Burton Albion flags). The access to the function room is through the double doors at the rear of this odd-shaped room (next to a Christmas tree - there's also a huge, ornate porcelain faced clock on the wall adjacent the doors. Go through those doors and turn left.

The pub has very kindly waived any room rental for the occasion. And in return I did say I'd encourage folk to consider eating in the pub. Sunday is carvery only. I think it's £7.50 a head. All the food I've ever had at this pub has been nicely prepared and very good value, so I imagine that carvery at £7.50 will certainly fill you up! They serve food on Sundays from 12.30 to 4.30 I believe. Anyway, it will certainly be possible for us to get hot food circa 2.15, once the MahaQuizzer is wrapped up.

A reminder also that I'll ask you for £1 each please to cover printing of the papers etc..

So far I'm expecting the following attendees...

Me
Chris Grandison
Gary Morewood
Ian Fennell
Ian Welham
Iwan Thomas
Nick Mills
Pat Gibson
Sarah Bodell
Steve Cooke

Please sing-out if I've missed anyone...

Best

Chris
Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa

Return to “Quiz Circuit Events”