Cleverdicks: Tribute spoilt by QM

Anything you like - as long as it's quiz-related!
Ambassador
Candidate Master Quizzer
Candidate Master Quizzer

Cleverdicks: Tribute spoilt by QM

Postby Ambassador » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:37 pm

This week's Radio Times has a column by Ann Widdecombe, plugging Cleverdicks. She is rightly in awe of the contestants. Sadly, she begins by slating Jade Goody, who "thought a certain county to be called East Angular".

Imho, East Anglia is not a county. And if I remember rightly, Ms Goody was actually confused whether East Anglia (however pronounced) was part of England.

By the way, the previous RT interviewed the script writer of Trumpton, who confirms that the first two firemen were "twins", hence the roll call is indeed "Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grubb"

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cleverdicks: Tribute spoilt by QM

Postby Chris » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:02 pm

:lol:
Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:33 am

Observations on the first show...

Well it shows quite a bit of promise and featured more than enough good questions (sadly lacking from most TV quizzes these days). Very enjoyable from that point of view. Obviously it's a bit early to fairly judge Widdi, she wasn't great but this is a new role for her. If I've a problem with her it's that her voice is a bit shrill for my liking. And I was dismayed at her pronunciation of "sub-boot-tay-yo".

Some observations of a negative nature (some of which I'm not so sure can be addressed without a format tweak):

Besides passage into round #2, there was no reward for the player (Stainer) wiping the floor with all his opponents in round #1. As highest scorer in round #2, Rob got a choice of going first or second in round #3. No such 'reward' was available to the winner of the opener. At the very least (see the next item) perhaps they should carry forward some points (5 perhaps?) to round #2, to give them a better chance of making round #3?

Giving five points for a correct buzz-in in round #2, with only 3x 1 bonus for follow-ups skews things in favour of lucky guesses and players employing gamesmanship (see next item). In UC the points allocation is 40/60 for buzz/bonus, in Clever Dicks it's 60/40! It means a lucky guess on the first part wins you 5, but opponent x, if they correctly buzz on three bonuses (after you fail) only gets 3 points. Just not right IMHO.

Sorry, but with no penalty for an incorrect buzz in #2, the thing is to buzz without taking in the question and then hope for an inspired guess once you've been asked for an answer. What the hell is there to lose?! Poor game mechanics/rule IMHO. You need to freeze someone out of the next clue for an incorrect buzz (especially as there are three players in #2). Also, I hate it in 'serious quizzes' ('Brian' is just the same) when players are invited to enter a guessing game. Arguably it devalues any 'quality' quiz when a round of silly guessing ensues.

Generally the questions were excellent but there was a couple in there I thought were out of place (you had five guesses to identify which of the Nobel Prizes folk had won) and at times there seemed a cruel imbalance in #3 (although I think probably the better quizzer won).

Finally, why do quiz shows have to have "writers" straining every leash to shoe-horn phrases and buzz-words in? And why, for example, would someone want to earn the accolade of being "irritatingly and ostentatiously knowledgeable" - perhaps they should've gone the whole hog and called the show "smart arse". Why can't TV makers allow the questions and players to speak for themselves? Certainly tonight's crop of both questions and competitors were eloquent enough in that regard?

Discuss....
Chris Jones

Angram
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby Angram » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:15 am

Not in a position to comment on the actual programme, as the Sky Atlantic channel isn't included in our cable package, but the title alone puts me off - it sounds faintly sneering and panders to a general (mis)perception of quizzers and quizzing in the popular media. Would Usain Bolt be desribed as "irritatingly and ostentatiously fast" in quite the same tone?

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:10 pm

It's hard to take issue with anything in that post, Angram.
Chris Jones

DanielFullard
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby DanielFullard » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:00 pm

I liked the show in parts, but two main problems for me....the line "I'm a Cleverdick because...." and having each contestant say why they are "so clever" is cringeworthy. Plus there is far too much idle banter between rounds.

narkyiain
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby narkyiain » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:55 pm

I recorded it and fast forwarded through almost all the chat, and enjoyed it a lot. Like a lot of quiz shows it would be a lot less enjoyable if you're forced to listen to the masses of needless chat. It seemed very unfair that David Stainer's outstanding 1st round didn't give him an edge in the 2nd round.That 2nd round was the weakest part of the format IMO. The lack of penalty for incorrect buzzes is a very strange decision.

I wish they hadn't in previews shown Rob Hannah playing the final round,which was quite a big spoiler. Partly my own fault for watching the preview but a stupid inclusion by them. I wonder if Rob has a long run whether he'll have to keep coming up with new reasons for his cleverdickishness.

Courtjester
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby Courtjester » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:44 pm

I thought the format of the show was very good. Well done to quiz veteran Rob for winning. I thought the standard of most questions was quite difficult for the first three clues but I got a few more correct on the 4th and 5th. Thought Anne W did quite well and kept the show at the right level. I am sure we will see some more of the better quiz regulars on future shows.

mjr
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby mjr » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:03 pm

Just because the programme is called Cleverdicks, it becomes very annoying with Ann W saying Cleverdick everytime a question is answered correct first time - even when an obvious guess. Reminds me of Numberwang. agree completely with what chris said about lack of penalties for guessing and 5 points for a good guess in the bonus round. Definitely best to record it and fast forward through all the guff.

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:38 am

Am loving the neologism "cleverdickishness" :lol:
Chris Jones

Return to “Quiz Discussion”